Microphone... "Sound Recorder" does NOT work! : (( Mint 8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blackbird

Microphone... "Sound Recorder" does NOT work! : (( Mint 8

Post by Blackbird »

I am "Re-Posting" [System problems], so if anyone posted a comment to help me, please post it again, because I was not able to log-in, & therefore I did not see anything that may have been posted! Thus, I am "Starting all over again,... with a virtually identical Posting".
Thank You......
Help! ! ! (Please....)

I have a Gateway Laptop (Notebook), Gateway Model # MT 6723

Mint 8 (Main Edition) Sound recorder (Microphone) does not work. I installed this about a week + ago, with all of the updates also installed.
Fortunately, I Figured out how to burn Mint 8 to a cd about a month ago... but I... really need a Working Microphone for my on-line teaching...
[ http://www.livemocha.com/ ]
but my "Sound recorder"... (Microphones... Internal & External)... does not work!
I am still pretty new to computers,... but,... I can follow instructions well.
Everything else seems to work. Do I have to do some special activation or something to make it work?

Neither my internal, or External Microphones work.
I hope that I did not omit any necessary info.
[Laptop] Gateway # MT 6723
In "terminal", it only shows the speaker(Volume) settings, no Microphone(s), when I type
"alsamixer"
(without the quotes) in the window that pops up, then press enter. Only 2 volume level bar/graph towers were in that window , one for Mint8 Desktop, & one for my Laptop.
Any & all assistance will be Greatly appreciated... Thank You!,....
(Signed,....)
Caught between a rock,.. & a really tough spot,.. a most humble

Blackbird

(My Thanks to---> mats.geier@linuxmint.com for helping me re-post!)
[P.S. I am truly sorry to hear of Mats Geier's passing. ]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stevefed5291

Re: Microphone... "Sound Recorder" does NOT work! : (( Mint 8

Post by stevefed5291 »

hey blackbird, click the Mint Menu button in the bottom left corner of the screen, then go to accessories, and then terminal. type 'alsamixer' without the quotes in the window that pops up, then press enter.

Several bars will be displayed, these are the volume levels for you audio devices. Scroll between them with the left and right arrows and try to find your mics, then use the up and down keys to raise/lower the volume, and the M key to mute/unmute. Once that's done press the Esc key to exit, and you'll see the terminal window again. Leave that open while you try sound recorder again, if it works this time type 'alsactl store' (without the quotes again) and press enter. If sound recorder doesn't work, use alsamixer again and continue to tweak your settings until it's working, then 'alsactl store' to save it.

Hope that helps. :)
Blackbird

Re: Microphone... "Sound Recorder" does NOT work! : (( Min

Post by Blackbird »

In my case this did not help, because when I opened up "Terminal", I only found 2 Green & Red "Graph/Towers", and they both appeared to be for my speaker volume. One was my computer's setting, and the other one was for the Mint8 Desktop setting. Apparently, Mint does not, for an unknown reason(s), "see" my Microphone.
Last edited by Blackbird on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I have gone into "terminal", ( typed alsamixer ) hit "enter", then hit "F4."
Now I see two (Empty) Black towers about 2 Inches ( 51mm ) tall.
I still don't know what to do, to make my Mic. work....
Please..... I need more help! Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
THANKS!
Last edited by Blackbird on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I figured out that by "Clicking" at the base of each (Empty) black tower,... & then hitting the "UP" arrow (from the left/right/up/down group), I was able to change the black to "RED & GREEN". I am 99.99% sure that this just means that I have adjusted the Microphone volume! I.... think... this may have been progress.... BUT,... I still have no mic working... : ((
I am still looking for help to make my mic, work. Thanks....
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I really like Mint 8,.. but without a working Microphone,... I can not use it( Mint 8 ) . I had high expectations for Linux Mint 8, But it looks like I am forced to go back to the dreaded "Vista". Thank you to those that tried to help. I will "Keep my fingers crossed!", & check back every week or so, hoping that someone will be able to help.
Once again,... Thanks,...
Blackbird
Last edited by Blackbird on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hernando

Post by hernando »

First: Try to avoid the BIG BLUE UNDERLINED FONT . What's your problem with underlining everything ?! LOL.
It's a pain in my eyes to read that.

Second: What's your machine?
  • Laptop: brand, specifications, etc.
    Desktop: brand, or components, motherboard, etc.
hernando

Post by hernando »

Hehe, your Edited your post! Great!
No problem! It just seemed like you were screaming... well, that's probably what you felt like, didn't you? That happens to me sometimes when I have problems but don't find the solution.
The best way to have someone help you is posting your Laptop brand in the forums, visible for everybody, be patient and keep googling around while waiting for someone knows how to help.

I have an Acer 4810, and I also have problems with my internal mic, can't make it work. But fortunately my external mic works great. I just plug it in the mini RCA.
It's probably a driver problems. This is one of the biggest problems with Linux, but everyday new drivers come to Linux.

This is your Laptop Brand as you told me:
Gateway (Laptop) Model MT6723.

Now, what I can suggest you is to keep trying with Alsamixer... plug in your microphone and try changing "Input Source".... in my case "Front Mic" works with my plugged microphone, but "Int Mic" don't work.
Your can swith between "Playback", "Input", "All" with the TAB key.
Alsamixer.jpg
Best of luck, and keep googling, be patient, and think positive!
Regards,
Hernan.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Right now I do not have Mint 8 installed. I was forced to uninstall Mint 8 because
of the Microphone issue! When I am able to re-install Mint 8 I will definitely try your
suggestions. Thanks again Hernando,... It might take some time,... but I will get back to you.
Blackbird

Return to “Beginner Questions”