Password for Live Session User

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Password for Live Session User

Postby larrinski on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:24 pm

I have been running Mint 8 on a USB stick. I use a work laptop and boot from it. That way I can use it as my personal computer, and then re-boot into Windows when I am working. Saves me from having to buy a personal use laptop...Having said that, the Live Session User doesn't seem to be listed as a user in the Control Panel, only 'root'. Is there a default user name and password for the live session user? Or, will making a new user, and not auto log-in into the live session user work?... My preference would be when booting, it go to a log-in screen and prompt for a user name and password for security in case someone gets their hands on the USB. Clear as mud?

Thanks in advance...
larrinski
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Password for Live Session User

Postby AndrewH on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 pm

I was curious about this too. I was wondering how TrueCrypt would work with the live CD, since TrueCrypt needs administrator privileges to mount TrueCrypt volumes.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stevefed5291 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:43 am

I believe the the live session defaults to the root user, meaning that when you are running off of a live disk, you are running as root. You can add users by running 'adduser' at the shell/terminal.
Website, Blog, and stevefed5291 on IRC
stevefed5291
Level 3
Level 3

Postby borgward on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

mint@mint ~ $ adduser
adduser: Only root may add a user or group to the system.
mint@mint ~ $
borgward
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions