Some error on sda1 which contains Mint 8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr. Alex

Re: Some error on sda1 which contains Mint 8

Post by Mr. Alex »

Joe, I don't know... Before I apply changes (which are checking) it says to backup all data 'cause I can lose it. Is it safe?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Mr. Alex wrote:Joe, I don't know... Before I apply changes (which are checking) it says to backup all data 'cause I can lose it. Is it safe?
Whenever you're making changes to your file system and/or partition via whatever means, there is always some degree of inherent risk. I personally have never had a bad experience with GParted. That said, it doesn't stop me from making a backup image of my drive, or at the very least, copying my important data to an external drive.

I can recommend Clonezilla for making a backup image of your drive. It's a good habit to have regardless of disk troubles or not.

Joe
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

It's a good habit to have regardless of disk troubles or not.
Definitely get in the habit of doing this. I've lost too many HDDs over the years due to hardware failure or general incompetence to risk tampering with them too heavily without a proper backup. Once you loose over a TB worth of data in one fell swoop, you realize it's not worth the hassle of NOT having a backup on hand. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”