monitor blanking every ten minutes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

monitor blanking every ten minutes

Postby ronh on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 pm

[Solved]Anyone know a fix for an lcd monitor auto blanking every ten minutes or about? I am running LM8 with a HP lcd display, have checked and turned off screen blanking, acpi is off ( also in BIOS), I havent found any other thing related to blanking. This is a desktop unit so no battery problem. The Nvidia driver did not have any blanking control , so now I'm lost. Help would be appreciated. thanks.

*** Just found the problem -- Rhythmbox must have a built in blanker, its the only app that will auto blank.
ronh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: monitor blanking every ten minutes

Postby revdjenk on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Glad you found that! I run exaile, so I wouldn't have been able to reduplicate that same setup.

Yay!

(It would be best to edit your subject line and put SOLVED in it, too.)

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby beefstu on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Take a look in screensaver too. Just Rhythmbox running would register as the computer not being active and could mean the screensaver comes on.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Postby vrkalak on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Depending on which desktop environment you are using.

In Xfce, the Power Manager is set to power-down when 'idle' for 10 minutes. Default setting.
Even if you change the Screen Saver setting, the PC will go 'blank' after 10 minutes.

Find the Power Manager, and go into the Preferences and find Monitor. Access the settings. Maybe.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions