File Manager: best Nautilus alternative?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
playful

File Manager: best Nautilus alternative?

Post by playful »

Hi all!

Since Nautilus ships with LM8, I assume the Mint consensus must be that Nautilus is the best file manager out there.
Yet I wonder if there are any Mint afficionados who are not in love with Nautilus and found a replacement they like.
I've tried Thunar and cannot really tell the difference. On the Windows side, I use a full on file manager called Directory Opus. Big but fast.

Looking forward to your insights...

And THANK YOU for Linux Mint!!!

Smiles,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: File Manager: best Nautilus alternative?

Post by DataMan »

For me. it's Krusader hands down. Been using it for years in both Gnome and kde with great success and satisfaction. On a recent Mint Gnome install, I did run into problems getting the "root mode" to work properly. See my website for specifics on how to resolve this problem if you want to go the Krusader route. btw- it's in the repositories.

http://www.krusader.org/index.php

-DataMan
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

Try PCMan. It's available in the repositories.

Also try Gnome Commander. Search for both in Synaptic.
playful

Post by playful »

Thank you, DataMan !!!

Installed Krusader and the fix from your website.

A big menu with tons of options?... Awesome. Looks like it's just what I was looking for. Powerful. The Directory Opus of Linux.
It's bedtime in NZ but looking forward to playing with it. It's a treat to know that this beauty exists.

Wishing you a fun week,

Warmest regards
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Glad it worked out. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance and capabilities. For me the really big plus is the transfer or moving of files from location #1 to #2 (something I do a lot of).

Post back or PM me if you run into any problems with Krusader.

-DataMan
gn2

Post by gn2 »

playful wrote:I've tried Thunar and cannot really tell the difference.
Main difference is that Thunar does not have network file browsing by default, it has to be configured manually.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I prefer Krusader, too.

I see that gnome-commander has already been mentioned. I like using that one, too. It isn't packed with as many tools as Krusader has. Nice if you like Krusader but sometimes want something simpler!
lizzibet

Post by lizzibet »

konqueror.. dolphin...
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm a fairly dedicated Thunar guy. I do all of my network sharing through Dropbox so it's lack of native support for this kind of thing is a non-issue for me.

I've been doing a lot of testing with PCManFM 0.9.1 as of late and it has network support by default, but it's still rather buggy. Fortunately this is being very actively developed and I think most of these bugs are going to be well situated by the time Mint 9 comes out. I debianized it and put it in the Helena LXDE Romeo repo for anyone who want to test it.
lizzibet

Post by lizzibet »

i tried pcman but it seems there was no option to select files by type using wildcards, which i find wholly annoying..
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

lizzibet wrote:i tried pcman but it seems there was no option to select files by type using wildcards, which i find wholly annoying..
I think this was fixed in pcmanfm 0.5.2. The version in the Ubuntu Karmic repo is 0.5.1.
rekik

Post by rekik »

MuCommander is another decent two panes file manager. Get it a try
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

playful wrote:Since Nautilus ships with LM8, I assume the Mint consensus must be that Nautilus is the best file manager out there. Yet I wonder if there are any Mint afficionados who are not in love with Nautilus and found a replacement they like.
Since Nautilus ships with LM8, I assume the Mint consensus..
No, that would be the distributors' consensus within their group..
--and because it is a Gnome based desktop as the default release (main editions..), then they follow Gnome, from Ubuntu

For file management, which as an application has little to do with the OS style or the desktop style, I prefer something quicker and keyboard driven (not mouse driven or GUI managed, such as Gnome commander..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Commander
http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/

File managers, Linux..
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/arch ... -managers/
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/113952
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I am normally using the Xfce desktop.
In a light-weight DE or WM ... I have used Thunar for some time.

Even in my Gnome install, I add Thunar and like it much better than Nautilus.

I have been using the Openbox Window Manager lately. Again, another light-weight WM.
In Openbox, PCManFM comes as default. I really like this particular File Manager.

In my Debian 'testing' -Xfce OS ... I have replaced Thunar with PCManFM.
One of the great features of PCManFM is that you can open the file manager as 'root'; you then have access to all partitions/drives on your computer, through the file manager.

Both Thunar and PCManFM are in the repositories.
playful

Post by playful »

WOW, so many replies!!! Thank you all so much.

Summing up the suggestions to date:
Krusader, PCMan, Gnome Commander, Dolphin, Thunar, muCommander

Off to install those and have a try. Although, as you all know, the real feel for the abilities of a file manager only comes after hard use. Hoping not to discard the pearl by mistake !

Wishing you all a beautiful day,

Smiles,

Return to “Beginner Questions”