Command Line and arroba problems with Mint 

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flame_Phoenix

Command Line and arroba problems with Mint 

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Hi guys, this is the second time I am using Linux Mint but I am very very new to it. 
I installed the "main" version of Helena in my virtual box machine and now I am using it. 

I code a lot and so I use the command line. However, despiting the fact that I love the jokes the terminal tells, I simply can't use it. 
A simply command like : "sudo apt-get install manpages-dev" pops up an error that says "command not found". 
I also tried other commands such as "apt-get update" and I always get the same error. 
It is really annoying because if I type "apt-get" I simply jump to the help menu, but if I try a command on the help menu I always get that stupid error. 
Also, my update manager application takes hours to initiate, in fact, it doesn't even finish initiating. 
It simply gets stuck saying "Checking for updates" and it just doesn't move on, even when I obviously have internet and use it to post on this forum ...

Another thing that really angers me is the fact that I can't type the arroba ( at) letter, When I press "Alt Gr + 2" the arroba symbol ( @ ) never appears. 
Instead I need to go to wikipedia, search for arroba and then I have to copy + paste the @ symbol.

My virtual box version is the most recent one, and the virtual machine has 1GB of RAM, and 8 GB of disk, which quite enough for my coding needs...
 if I solve these problems.

Can some one help me ? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flame_Phoenix

Re: Command Line and arroba problems with Mint 

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

In the name of all that's fair ... Bump!
Also, the forum seems to cut my messages in half. Am I doing something wrong !?
kalwisti
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Command Line and arroba problems with Mint

Post by kalwisti »

Hi, Flame_Phoenix,

I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored ... I have a guess regarding a workaround you might try. The fact that you're running Mint in a virtual environment is a complicating factor. (That might explain why you haven't received many responses). I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I wonder if part of the problem is that your "real" hardware -- such as your keyboard -- is not communicating properly with VBox.

Re: The @ symbol:
Although it seems like the method you mention should work, an alternative you might try is using Gnome's Character Palette applet. You can add it to your top panel by right-clicking on an empty space, then choose Add and then choose Character Palette. (I'm not 100% sure that the symbol is available as a choice, but if it is, it's more efficient than cutting-and-pasting from Wikipedia).

Re: The lack of a functional Terminal and inability to update:
My semi-educated guess here is that you're having problems because of the virtual installation. I don't know how to fix this; however, I did some searching and found this post that might be (a tiny bit?) helpful:

http://bit.ly/acfuIX
"VMWare Tools - Ubuntu Update Virtual Machine." 3 Jan. 2009.

The original poster mentions that he switches to root by entering

Code: Select all

$ sudo bash
Hope this 0.02's stab in the dark helps.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia" Xfce ed. (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored ...
This thread was being ignored but now that you replied to it I am happy it's not :D
The fact that you're running Mint in a virtual environment is a complicating factor. (That might explain why you haven't received many responses). I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I wonder if part of the problem is that your "real" hardware -- such as your keyboard -- is not communicating properly with VBox.
I already tested this theory. In fact, it was my first assumption - that the virtual software I use has a problem. 
However, when I tested Ubuntu inside "Virtual Box" (the name of the software) I had no keyboard problems at all. 
In fact, I never had a keyboard problem before regarding Linux and Virtual Box, this is the first time, 
and it is also the first time I use Helena. I can only conclude the problem is from the distro.
Gnome's Character Palette applet.
Memorable effort. However the palette itself does not contain the "at" symbol or at least i can't find it :S
Re: The lack of a functional Terminal and inability to update:
Well, my problem is not about updates. In fact, I think it might be related with my internet connection. 
When I am in home, using my WAN connection, the terminal doesn't seem to work properly and the update manager 
seems to enter an infinite loop. However, when I am at work, using their Wide connection, everything seems to work decently ....
 I make no idea why.

Also, the forum is cutting my messages in half... is there a way to fix this !?
And you were the only one to help me. Is there a way I can reward your effort ?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Flame_Phoenix wrote:Also, the forum is cutting my messages in half... is there a way to fix this !? And you were the only one to help me

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 61&start=0

Also, the forum is cutting my messages in half
Probably to do with the non-stable Internet connection you are using..
And you were the only one to help me
That isn't really fair..The forums are NOT a help desk service, sometimes the responses won't be immediate..

Aroba is Spanish for @
Based on an Internet search. So it maybe your keyboard or language selection on the Linux guest

First updates should not take hours, except of course you are the guest OS on the windows file system, which is which windows file system you are using ?
  • Upgrades might take that long, depending on the speed and reliability and source web site containing those Linux software packages
Is it defragged, the windows OS host file system..
In terminal, check
  • sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    --this is the command to download and install software packages
Is windows busy; apart from the normal
  • Background tasks running
    --scanning for viruses
    --scanning for anti spyware
    --scanning for any windows OS updates
    --indexing the hard drive to improve search time when finished
Apt by itself doesn't provide much help, even if you select the manpage
    man apt
    --the apt help command function (to get help with one of the apt commands available, usually indicates something like..
    • apt help upgrade
      "apt upgrade" is equivalent to "sudo apt-get upgrade"
    Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

@DrHu: 
    I did read the forum rules and made a search before creating this thread. This explains why I decided to tell you my version of Linux Mint and other 
    specifications I considered important at that time. 
    I don't think it is an hardware problem ... after all, it is on a virtual machine :P
    Probably to do with the non-stable Internet connection you are using..
    I really don't understand how my internet connection can be affecting my browser application. 
    Technically, I receive all data from the page, but it is not displayed correctly. 
    Is someone else experiencing this problem?
    That isn't really fair..The forums are NOT a help desk service, sometimes the responses won't be immediate..
    Pardon me, but aren't forums created to help people? I understand the answers aren't immediate, I have some forum experience and I don't mind that. 
    What makes me sad is when the answers are inexistent. That's a big difference.
    With you two now, I am happy at least someone is trying.
    I am sorry if I sounded rude before, it was never my intention to demand anything from you.
    If I learn how to live with Mint, I might help other people too in the future, who knows :P
    Aroba is Spanish for @
    It is also Portuguese :P 
    I thought the "arroba" word was international, but now I know english people describe it using the word "at" :P

About updates. I am using Windows 7 with 2 NTFS partitions. When I use the virtual machine, it consumes about 50% of my RAM (I have 3GB) and 10% of
    my dual core CPU, I assume the host system is not stressed with the current settings, thus not slowing down the machine.

About the terminal:

Code: Select all

pedro@pedro-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get update: command not found
    pedro@pedro-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get upgrade: command not found

I don't understand this ... shouldn't apt recognize these commands !?
    And I have the latest version of Helena with all upgrades/updates.
    Is windows busy; apart from the normal
    Not really.
    Though, indexing hardrive may be a good thing to do. Is this called "defragging" the computer? Put all little pieces together ?

Again, thx for the help. How can I give you "level" points?

Return to “Beginner Questions”