installing the ati driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

installing the ati driver

Postby ubermensch on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:15 pm

I went on the ati website and they have a link for linux_86 drivers, I downloaded the file they have there, now I'm wondering what to do with it. It is a type .run file.
this is its name. ati-driver-installer-8.39.4-x86.x86_64.run. let me know what you think. thanks
ubermensch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 pm

This is the only real drawback for Linux in my mind - when you get some installer not in the form your distro uses, in our case a deb file.
I recommend that you use envy (you find it in the menu) to install the driver. For 9200 and older you use the the open driver, while for younger cards you can use the closed (restricted) driver

However if you want to run a .run file you just put
Code: Select all
./
in front of it in a terminal
If you get a permission denied message just make sure the file has the proper permissions (chmod u+x yourfilename in a terminal)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

thanks

Postby ubermensch on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:12 am

I ran the .run file, with your instructions that worked great, thanks alot.
ubermensch
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions