How to add a new User

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to add a new User

Postby lxuser on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi all LinuxMint Users,

I am an absolute beginner to linux, so my question might be very basic to most of you. I am trying to add a new user to my machine, but I'm not being able to do so. Here is what I did so far - To add a new user named "nuser" with password "mypassword", I entered the following line in the console-
/usr/sbin/useradd -c "nuser" -g 100 nuser

For setting password, I used the command-
passwd mypassword

When I restart my machine and try to log back in with the new userId and password the system does not respond. I want to get advice from you before I make any further changes, because I'm little worried that I might bring the whole system down. Please let me know your advice and thanks a lot for reading my post.

-lxuser
lxuser
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby msgnomer on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:34 pm

For Cassandra GNOME:

In mintMenu go to the Control Panel and click "Users and Groups". There's also a "Users and Groups" under Administration.

If you don't use mintMenu, I think it's under System > Administration > Users and Groups.
Jess
msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby lxuser on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi Jess,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It works the way you have mentioned. However, I wanted to do it using command line as opposed to the GUI, so that I could learn some of the linux/Unix commands. One of the reasons I am switching from WIndows to linux is to learn the linux/Unix commands.

Thx,
lxuser
lxuser
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msgnomer on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Ahh sorry. I'm not proficient with command line either, but I just added a new user (as root) this way:

useradd [options] username (for options, I only used -m)

Then changed password with:
passwd username

And it prompted for new password.

This may not be the correct/best way, I dunno. Worked for me though! Hope it helps a bit.
Jess
msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kcirick on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:37 pm

lxuser wrote:Hi Jess,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It works the way you have mentioned. However, I wanted to do it using command line as opposed to the GUI, so that I could learn some of the linux/Unix commands. One of the reasons I am switching from WIndows to linux is to learn the linux/Unix commands.

Thx,
lxuser

In today's world where everything needs to be working just "right" for someone to switch over to something else, I appreciate someone actually taking time to learn something that takes time and patience.

I've read many stories about how people don't like to migrate from windows because they just dont want to learn the commands or things don't work right away before doing some basic tweaking. I find in linux if you take just one step to learn to work with the system, there are a whole lot of things you can do that would be unimaginable in windows (because everything is locked).

So thank you for wanting to learn to actually use linux and see what's under the GUI (not that I'm saying negative about the linux GUI, I do think it is a great improvement from even a couple of years ago, I couldn't stand Gnome 1 and KDE 1 was Windows 95 compared to what's coming in KDE4).
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lxuser on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks Jess! With the command you mentioned, I was able to create a new user. There is one little problem remaining, and that is the networking does not work for the new user. What I mean to say is that with new user account, if I try to connect to the wireless network , I get an error message saying, "you do not have sufficient privilege....Contact your system administrator". In the meantime, I will try to look for it in google and post it here if I find a solution.

Also, thanks to Kcirick! I appreciate your support. I hope to learn a lot by being a part of this community.

Thx,
lxuser
lxuser
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Open the control center
    Click on users and groups
    Enter your password
    Select the user whom you wish to modify
    Click on Properties
    Go on the tab: User Privileges

That's all! :D ...........
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lxuser on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks a lot. That helped me solve the problem.
lxuser
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions