BootCD questions (Save settings, Speed, and Instability)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MuzikJay

BootCD questions (Save settings, Speed, and Instability)

Post by MuzikJay »

Hi, new here obviously. Got the boot cd working and am using Linux MInt 8 Main edition right now. Love it but I have some concerns.
1. Is the slow boot time because it's loading off of the disc? (Just to make sure I don't make the switch in the future and not know to expect this)
2. There have been times where the menu or certain programs stop working, is this a common bug or also because it's loading from the disc?
3. Is there a way to save the settings so that I don't have to keep changing them each time I come back? (I didn't search this one so sorry if it's a common one)

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment that google couldn't helpe me with. Thanks in advance.

-J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: BootCD questions (Save settings, Speed, and Instability)

Post by beefstu »

1. The slowness in general, not just boot times is because of the CD, I really wish they would mention this somewhere when it loads as its not the best first impression!

2. yes/no/maybe - difficult to say! The version of Mint on the CD does not get updated from when it was first released and therefore in the ~100 or so updates that have been released since November (when the disk was made) which you will download and install if/when you decide to install Mint permenantly , its more than likely that those problems have been solved, I seem to recall a Menu update to help stop it getting stuck.

3. I don't think you can really, as far as i know you can have a 'persistent USB' where you essentially install mint onto a USB stick but i don't think you can on the CD

Hope you enjoy Mint! The community here are pretty amazing so feel free to ask if you need anything which a Google/forum search can't solve!
MuzikJay

Re: BootCD questions (Save settings, Speed, and Instability)

Post by MuzikJay »

:D Perfect. thank you! Mint smokes windows so far so hope all stays the same.

Return to “Beginner Questions”