Desktop effects couldn't be enabled!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Desktop effects couldn't be enabled!!

Post by 007 »

Sorry if this question has been asked here multiple times but I couldn't find the solution to my problem though I have been through some threads on the topic here. IIRC, when I first installed Linux Mint 7, I could enable desktop effects but later I fiddled with some graphics drivers... NVIDIA just to see and learn.. after that computer showed this and that (problems) but finally it came back to normal. After a day or two, I now tried to enable desktop effects... it gives 'desktop effects couldn't be enabled'

I read through some threads here and here's the results of compiz-check:

linux@linux ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card ATI Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1400x1050@50.0hz
linux@linux ~ $ compiz-check

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Linux Mint 7
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_gloria.php
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
Driver in use: radeon
Rendering method: None

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system... [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)

linux@linux ~ $
linux@linux ~ $

I checked hardware drivers but there's nothing... 'No proprietary drivers are in use on this system'

What could be the problem? Could anyone provide me some links or steps so that I can enable the desktop effects? thanx in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flame_Phoenix

Re: Desktop effects couldn't be enabled!!

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

I don't get it. You use an NVIDIA and yet you search for ATI drivers !? Mmm
If you are using an ATI then perhaps your problem is related to the ATI catalistic program. I saw something about this subject in another thread, I can point 
it out for you if you need.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You have an ATI graphics card, not NVIDIA, therefore you need to install the ATI Proprietary Drivers before anything.

Open up Hardware Drivers in the menu, install the drivers and activate your card from there.

Post by 007 »

My bad .. I didn't have NVIDIA ... just got curious, hence I installed it... and fiddled with it a bit and the problem started. If you have any link, please do post here.

@Proxima_centarui
At the same time, I am starting to see I have ATI card but the problem now is that in the hardware drivers, there's nothing. it scans for drivers but comes up with empty box 'No proprietary drivers are in use on this system'

I shall google for ATI drivers but in the meantime please do post if you have any further to say on my problem.
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Ok, if you are using an ATI, you will most likely need "catalist" program made for ATI. I am not sure if this will help, but since they refer to the subject in cause, it might just help you:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=43499

Hoping it aids.

PS: NEVER mess up with drivers. They can kill you... and your computer. 

Post by 007 »

Well... I did some stupid mistake my installing ATI through Envy yesterday.... it screwed up even booting... had to re-format. Now, nice and kicking... 8)
Flame_Phoenix

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

Problem solved then :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”