New to LM: Some problems after install!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

New to LM: Some problems after install!

Postby lillumultipass on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:07 am

Hi to all :D

I am new to the forum, and to Linux as a whole: I only started using Ubuntu last year, and then switched to MacOS for a long time, so that I only reinstalled Ubuntu on my laptop a few months ago.
However, I wanted to try other distro so that I decided to install Linux Mint (the KDE version).
The installation went flawlessly, even though I had to shrink one partition to be able to create the linux one, and after the installation, i was quite hapoy at first since the wireless, the Fn shortcuts...were working like a charm! I was quite pleased.

However, since, I have discovered a few problems:

1. first, when I try to put my laptop to sleep, it works, but then I can't resume, the screen remains black. I was kind of expecting this since it did the same under ubuntu. To solve the problem, I followed the instructions in post #19 of this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2401203

However, it seems that the sleep.sh file looks different here, so I don't want to follow those instructions blindly and make a huge mistake. I have installed the uswsusp package, but it didn't make a difference. When I try a
Code: Select all
 gksu s2ram

I get this
Machine is unknown.
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "ASUSTeK Computer Inc. "
    sys_product  = "U1F                 "
    sys_version  = "1.0       "
    bios_version = "202    "
See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.

and nothing happens. Any idea?
Some precisions: thanks to the uswsusp package, I can sudo s2disk. Only the s2ram does not work now. My laptop is a ASUS U1F with a shared video card.

2. When I want to open some stuff with sudo, or gksu i get some weird messages :
 gksu kate /etc/acpi/sleep.sh
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device

However, it opens the desired file, so it is not that bothering, but still, I would like to understand what it means.

3. When I shut my laptop down, I have had some weird things happen at times: the screen was full of horizontal white lines, and it seemed stuck, so that I had to switch it off manually. It does not happen all the time however. The first time, it happened after I had used Beryl, so I thought this was the reason. However, subsequent times, i didn't activate beryl, and I still got those weird lines.

4. finally, I have installed emacs snapshot and it wouldn't open. Then, there was an update of emacs and it works. However, it didn't find my .emacs configuration file, which is located in my home directory where I usually put it. Under Ubuntu, I used the exact same file in my home directory, and emacs found it.
Basically, I have installed emacs in the same way under ubuntu than under Linx Mint; hence, I do not understand why it does not want to use my.emacs file.

Thank you for reading my long prose, and thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions you might have :)

UPDATE: I have tried "sudo s2ram -f" and it works! Hence, I have created an applet in the taskbar which does this. However, I have to enter my password each time, which is a bit cumbersome; is there a way to do this (automatically)?
Last edited by lillumultipass on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
lillumultipass
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby lillumultipass on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:31 am

Ok, I answer to myself with regards to point 4: I forgot to install Auctex which certainly explains why it could not open my .emacs file (which requires tex file).
lillumultipass
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:40 am

welcome to Mint my Fifth Element friend.

1. I never trust suspend or the like. looks like you found the best solution currently around.
2. what the!
3. I expect it is a video driver issue.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lillumultipass on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:07 am

Well, I like suspend/hibernate when I know I will get away from my laptop, but not for long.

So, it seems that downloading uswsusp and doing sudo s2ram -f works fine now.
The only thing is, the launcher (applet) that I created asks for my password every time, which I find a bit annoying. Is there a way to get around that?

At least, for the moment, it prevents me from shutting my laptop down inadvertently.

Btw, what are the differences between sudo and gksu?
I know that's a dumb question, but I am not sure I really understand the difference.

As to my second point, I still don't understand this error message.
lillumultipass
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:11 pm

sudo asks for your password in the terminal.
you can use sudo to start CLI command/apps and GUI apps as root.

gksu asks for your password in a GUI window and is best for starting GUI applications as root.

so gksu is best used in startup scripts for GUI applications.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Jives on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 am

To use sudo without having it prompt for password, edit yout /etc/sudoers file using this command:
sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers

find where it says "root", and and add on the next line:
username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Substituting "username" for your username.
Jives
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:19 am

NO NO NO!
The solution above removes the use of password for you at all times - this means you are as wide open for abuse as a Windows user!
I thought of removing the text as it is dangerous to use but it can easily be found on the net
NEVER EVER DO THIS!!
You could make a script that has this command for the specific task, much better :)
The odd error message is something that "goes on" in Bianca KDE for some reason - but never mind
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions