[SOLVED]Defrag and Clean up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lolypopgirl1862

[SOLVED]Defrag and Clean up

Post by lolypopgirl1862 »

You know how on Windows theres a Defrag and Disk Clean-Up? Is there something like that for Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndrewH

Re: Defrag and Clean up

Post by AndrewH »

Linux doesn't need it! :mrgreen:

Read this for more details:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Defraging your HDD is basically unnecessary on Linux due to EXT4 file system & the way the Linux works. I am unsure if there are tools to do that, but it is not necessary as compared to Win.Linux is not win ! Search the forums for more on the defragging thing, there are a lot of topics. As for cleanup, you can clean up old packages in from command line,I forget what it is, & I believe synaptic also has an option for that,
Jay514 :mrgreen:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Rather than retype other peoples work, a forum search using defragging as a keyword yielded this as one of topics. It was the second thread in the search results.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Jay514 wrote:As for cleanup, you can clean up old packages in from command line,I forget what it is, & I believe synaptic also has an option for that,
If you prefer a GUI tool. > Menu > Control Center > System > Computer Janitor.
This tool can also be reached by > Menu > Administration > Computer Janitor.
When you hover your mouse over the shortcuts it says "Clean up a system so it's more like a freshly installed one."
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Jay514 wrote: As for cleanup, you can clean up old packages in from command line,I forget what it is, & I believe synaptic also has an option for that,
For Linux Mint main editions, there is computer janitor
mint menu>Control center>System>Computer janitor

There is also a more general cleanup, like bleachbit
--it is available in the repository
lolypopgirl1862

Post by lolypopgirl1862 »

Thank you for the help guys :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”