How to create a wallpaper slideshow (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintHat

How to create a wallpaper slideshow (solved)

Post by MintHat »

I've downloaded several wallpapers, and want to make a slideshow of it, so I don't need to switch between them manually anymore.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

I'm using Mint 8 Helena 64bit.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: How to create a wallpaper slideshow

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There are two apps in Package Manager that will do what you want. Search "drapes" and "wallpaper-tray". Check out both and choose the one you want.
MintHat

Re: How to create a wallpaper slideshow

Post by MintHat »

Thanks, using drapes to change background wallpaper every 15 minutes.
Works great :)
hojo52

Re: How to create a wallpaper slideshow (solved)

Post by hojo52 »

There is another (more technical) way of doing this that requires no installation of software. The "Appearance" window supports xml and you can create an xml file that references the images you want transitioned to.

Here is an abridged version of the default installed slideshow (cosmos):

Code: Select all

<background>
  <starttime>
    <year>2009</year>
    <month>08</month>
    <day>04</day>
    <hour>00</hour>
    <minute>00</minute>
    <second>00</second>
  </starttime>
<!-- This animation will start at midnight. -->
  <static>
    <duration>1795.0</duration>
    <file>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/cloud.jpg</file>
  </static>
  <transition>
    <duration>5.0</duration>
    <from>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/cloud.jpg</from>
    <to>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/comet.jpg</to>
  </transition>
  <static>
    <duration>1795.0</duration>
    <file>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/comet.jpg</file>
  </static>
  <transition>
    <duration>5.0</duration>
    <from>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/comet.jpg</from>
    <to>/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/cloud.jpg</to>
  </transition>
</background>
The <static> tags "show" the wallpaper for the specified duration (in seconds). The <file> tag is a direct path to your picture. So for each wallpaper you add a static section that shows how long you want to show it and then a transition section that defines what picture to change to. You can basically copy this file, plug in your wallpapers, and save it somewhere else.

Notes:
. I always make my last transition point to the first picture I show (not sure if that's necessary)
. The example code snippet transitions around every 30 mins I changed my static durations to 595 (approx 10 mins)
. The easy thing to do is create your background-1.xml file that defines your slideshow in a folder that has all the wallpapers you are using (make sure the paths are correct!)
. Look in "/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/" for all the files related to the system's cosmos slideshow.

Hopefully this helps someone who wants to understand how the default (cosmos) is setup. I now have all kinds of background slideshows and didn't need to install anything extra.
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

@ hojo52:

Thanks, this looks very interesting.
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

Found a program called "Wallpaper stacks", it can be found in the package manager.
There is a ppa at launchpad, if you want to keep it updated.

https://launchpad.net/wallpaper-stacks

I've used it in mint 9 to create a wallpaper stack.
Works very nice.
A very big thank you to the developer :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”