32 & 64 bit OSes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lizzibet

32 & 64 bit OSes

Post by lizzibet »

Ya know, ....i remember, back in the day when computers went from 16 bit machines to 32 bit machines and i ran windows 3.1 on my k6 machine or my p100 machine.. how it ran so super fast... something i remember about clock cycles and there was a problem with some cycles not synching so the 32 bit machines wouldn't run 16 bit software.. am i saying this right? someone interject here.. how is it then now that the 32 bit OSes don't really get a speed boost over the 64 bit OSes when run on 64 bit chips?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 32 & 64 bit OSes

Post by SiKing »

It has nothing to do with speed. The difference is the size of data that it can handle, with 64bits being bigger.
DrHu

Re: 32 & 64 bit OSes

Post by DrHu »

how is it then now that the 32 bit OSes don't really get a speed boost over the 64 bit OSes when run on 64 bit chips?
Because the 64bit version of the OS supports 32bit modes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
  • Operating mode explanation
    The architecture has two primary modes of operation:
    Long mode
    The architecture's intended primary mode of operation; it is a combination of the processor's native 64-bit mode and a combined 32-bit and 16-bit compatibility mode. It is used by 64-bit operating systems. Under a 64-bit operating system, 64-bit programs run under 64-bit mode, and 32-bit and 16-bit protected mode applications which do not need to use either real mode or virtual 8086 mode in order to execute at any time run under compatibility mode.
If you have the correct amount of resources, then there is no inherent advantage in sticking to 32bit OS, although in the current desktop OS environment, a 32bit OS is perfectly adequate: until the OS changes or requires more resources

Return to “Beginner Questions”