Would like to use my tv as a monitor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PurpleCowTipper

Would like to use my tv as a monitor

Post by PurpleCowTipper »

I purchased a Dell computer tower at a second hand store that is running Linux Mint 8 and I have never used Linux in my life. I have a Samsung LN40A450 I would like to use as my monitor but I am unable to figure out how to change the settings so it will show up on the TV. I've searched the net trying to get some answers but everything I've come across is like trying to read a language I don't understand. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stevefed5291

Re: Would like to use my tv as a monitor

Post by stevefed5291 »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the wonderful world of Linux. Now, several questions about your predicament:

How are you trying to connect the computer to the tv? HDMI/S-video/et cetera
What graphics card are you using? If you don't know, you can find out by opening the terminal and typing:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep VGA
note that the VGA is case sensitive. Paste that output of that back here. Also it would help if you knew if the graphics card was integrated/agp/pci-e.
PurpleCowTipper

I went to the terminal and typed in what you said and this was my result.

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)

Also I am using a a normal VGA monitor cable.

Hope this is the information you needed.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

PurpleCowTipper wrote: C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
This is nVidia integrated graphics. From Wikipedia
In late 2005 Nvidia introduced a new member to the GeForce family, the 6100 series, also known as C51. The term GeForce 6100/6150 actually refers to an nForce4-based motherboard with an integrated NV44 core, as opposed to a standalone graphics card.
and
Both the 6100 and 6150 support Shader Model 3.0 and DirectX 9.0c. The 6150 also features support for High-Definition video playback, PureVideo Processing, DVI, and video-out while the 6100 supports PureVideo Processing only. Maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1440 pixels (@75 Hz) for RGB display and 1600 x 1200 pixels (@65 Hz) for DVI-D display
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

Thanks dawgdoc, quite helpful :).

PurpleCowTipper, do you have the proprietary Nvidia Drivers installed? (Menu>Administration>Hardware Drivers. Download whatever version is 'recommended')

Once you do that, (or if you already have them installed) launch the Nvidia settings manager as root in the terminal with the following command:

gksu nvidia-settings
Then enter your password at the prompt, and it will launch an easy-to-use graphical program that lets you fine-tune your settings.
PurpleCowTipper

Yes I already have the nvidia drivers installed I set it to the resolution suggested for my tv and it still doesn't work. Also it will not let me save my resolution and every time I restar it goes back to the previous setting.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

PurpleCowTipper wrote:Also it will not let me save my resolution and every time I restar it goes back to the previous setting.
It will always go back to previous settings if the nVidia utility is not opened as Steve suggested. Also see this post by McLovin about installing nVidia drivers and making your settings sticky. You already have the drivers installed, so scroll down to just above the 3rd screenshot. Look for where it starts with the code posted by Steve.
stevefed5291 wrote: ...launch the Nvidia settings manager as root in the terminal with the following command:

gksu nvidia-settings
Then enter your password at the prompt, and it will launch an easy-to-use graphical program that lets you fine-tune your settings.
Kubbur

Post by Kubbur »

hi, i had the same problem with the resolution, i fixed it by set the res to the next one to the native one (in windows i used 1360x768 but in mint i use 1280x768) and change the rest on the tv itself

Return to “Beginner Questions”