Installing Thunderbird New Version

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davedamn

Installing Thunderbird New Version

Post by davedamn »

When I try to install Thunderbird v3 from the Linux Mint Community Site Version 2 is installed instead Why ???? puzzled what am I doing wrong I got past the APT problem
Cheers Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installing Thunderbird New Version

Post by remoulder »

davedamn wrote:When I try to install Thunderbird v3 from the Linux Mint Community Site
This is obviously a mistake, version3 is not available in the karmic standard repos, please report this as a bug.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
davedamn

Post by davedamn »

In follow up if that version is not available in standard repositories I can understand what the problem is however:
I also went on Mozillas site and downloaded the latest version (v3 point something) for linux as a zip file if I extract it
to a folder I can run the program from there without actually "installing" it. Can I install this program properly if so how?
What am I missing here / doing wrong I am completely new to Linux I am really impressed with Mint and want to learn
how to use the O/S. I come from a windows background and I realize that linux is very different and I'm a bit lost / confused
Appreciate the help

Dave
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

davedamn wrote:I also went on Mozillas site and downloaded the latest version (v3 point something) for linux as a zip file if I extract it
to a folder I can run the program from there without actually "installing" it
There's nothing wrong with doing this, it's just that it won't be integrated into the system.
davedamn wrote:I come from a windows background
Generally software in linux is installed from the repositories not by downloading from a website. Repos contain software that has been built on the system it is intended to be installed on and has all the correct dependencies and integrated. However this does also mean that you do not always have the choice of installing the latest versions unless they have been made available. With mint and ubuntu, major new releases are generally not built for existing and older releases.
Last edited by remoulder on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

There is a daily build of Thunderbird in Ubuntu's launchpad repositories.

A tutorial on how to add this to your system so that it shows in Synaptic can be found at this page on Ubuntu Geek. It works the same for Mint. An example of where I did this with a newer version, at the time, of Pidgin is here.

You could then install from Synaptic

Is Thunderbird 3.0 still in beta?
vincent

Post by vincent »

I would recommend using Launchpad PPAs to get updated software, because they can be integrated into Synaptic and mintUpdate unlike seperate .deb packages you install manually, or even software compiled from source code. Follow dawgdoc's advice and grab the PPA, reload Synaptic, and upgrade Thunderbird.

Mozilla's download link gives you Thunderbird in .tar.bz2 (source code) format, so if you want to go with the official Mozilla build, then here's a handy link about installing from source code:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

dawgdoc wrote:There is a daily build of Thunderbird in Ubuntu's launchpad repositories
dawgdoc, please DO NOT recommend users add the mozilla daily build PPA unless you are willing to help them sort out the problems it causes. This PPA is for developers and beta testers only, it is not intended to be used by normal users. Users who must install later releases of FF & TB should look at the ubuntuzilla repo.

dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

okay, mea culpa. won't do it again.

I thought this was better than downloading from the mozilla site.
davedamn wrote: I also went on Mozillas site and downloaded the latest version (v3 point something) for linux as a zip file if I extract it
to a folder I can run the program from there without actually "installing" it.
Dave
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Users who must install later releases of FF & TB should look at the ubuntuzilla repo.
I have to go along with remoulder's advice because it is easy to revert back to what you had if things don't work out with a newer version. I have used Ubuntuzilla with no problems other than an occasional manual fix for Flash or java (just differences in Firefox versions for example).
davedamn

Post by davedamn »

Thank you all,

I think I am trying possibly to run B4 I can walk but I will have a look at the ubuntuzilla repos as suggested
If as you advise I am doing nothing "wrong" by running from a downloaded file then I am quite happy to do that
I will look at installing from source code as per Vincent's link. However I think at the moment I will stay safe
with the versions of software that are already integrated into the build I have.

Thank you all for your input I will take some time to have a look at all your info and with a bit of luck
I will get a better grasp of the way this O/S works.

Cheers Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”