Newsreaders

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintHat

Newsreaders

Post by MintHat »

I've tried several newsreaders now like pan, xpn and lottanzb, and with all of them i've noticed that
when looking at the system monitor's network history, that besides leeching it also uploads at rates between 40 and 60
KB/s. (When i stop leeching, the upload speed drops to zero)

Are they supposed to do that? Since that's about half my upload speed.
It already sent about 800mb out since i started downloading today.

Any suggestions are welcome :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Newsreaders

Post by remoulder »

You seem to be confusing newsreaders with bittorrent here? News readers don't upload anything unless you tell them to, they are like email clients. There will of course be necessary network maintenance traffic.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

remoulder wrote:You seem to be confusing newsreaders with bittorrent here? News readers don't upload anything unless you tell them to, they are like email clients. There will of course be necessary network maintenance traffic.
No, I'm not confused about bittorrent. I'm aware about network maintenance traffic, but it shouldn't consume 60kb/s even if I'm downloading at 1800kb/s. Atleast as far i can remember newsleecher (for windows) never did this.

Maybe it's a ghost in the machine :shock:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

MintHat wrote:No, I'm not confused about bittorrent
Perhaps it was your saying
besides leeching it also uploads at rates between 40 and 60KB/s. (When i stop leeching, the upload speed drops to zero)
that made me think this? What has leeching got to do with newsreaders, these is torrent terminology? I run xpn and occasionally pan and I don't see the behaviour you report.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

remoulder wrote:
MintHat wrote:No, I'm not confused about bittorrent
Perhaps it was your saying
besides leeching it also uploads at rates between 40 and 60KB/s. (When i stop leeching, the upload speed drops to zero)
that made me think this? What has leeching got to do with newsreaders, these is torrent terminology? I run xpn and occasionally pan and I don't see the behaviour you report.
Oh Yes, sorry about that. Leeching is a torrent word.

I,ve made some screenshots to clarify (hopefully) :)
The first one, is with pan connected, the second while disconnected.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

I can only assume it is due to the way you are using it. Sorry I cannot help you further.

conslie

Post by conslie »

I believe what you are seeing is the usual error checking protocol at work. Someone will correct me if this is way off, but Internet traffic is sent in packets which include the data plus a checksum that will either match what the data should yield or not. In response toe receiving that data and checksum, the downloading machine replies by saying either 'got it OK' or 'not OK, resend it.' Someone here could probably give the exact ratio between the up and down bytes with a flawless connection, but not me.

Edit to add, the "total uploaded" number is not set to zero on each restart of System Monitor, but, just a guess, the total of all the activity when System Monitor was monitoring the activity. The 'Help' menu item gives some ways to explore this more fully.

Return to “Beginner Questions”