I tunes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
veedubbloke

I tunes

Post by veedubbloke »

Does it look at all possible that eventually I Tunes will come to Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gweilo

Re: I tunes

Post by Gweilo »

I don't think apple will be porting it for linux, so I think the only way is if someone were to re-create all the ins and outs of it and make a new program, and that would probably lead to some sort of IP infringement

best guess
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

For now the only way to use Itunes on Linux is to run Windows in a VM (Virtual Machine) ie Virtualbox, Vmware, etc. www.virtualbox.org

I have not tried installing Itunes with Wine (lets you run Windows apps on Linux) but that might be another option. I seriously doubt that Apple will port ITunes over to Linux anytime soon.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

This is complete hearsay as I have no experience with either application, but I've heard that Banshee is a viable Linux alternative to iTunes.

Your mileage may vary.

Joe
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I don't know if it's a complete replacement, but RhythmBox works well.
rleggett

Post by rleggett »

Banshee, amarok and to a lesser extent songbird have all the functionality of itunes, except of course, no iTunes store.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

aTunes comes closer, then there is Songbird which is nice with themes. The only advantage iTunes has is the store.

Return to “Beginner Questions”