Not booting after Win7 startup repair

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arphaus

Not booting after Win7 startup repair

Post by arphaus »

I am starting over with a new install of Win7 and dualbooting Linux Mint. I installed Win7 first, then Mint, which partitioned the hard drive and installed fine.

When I next booted into Win7, it needed to do startup repair, which it did and is running fine. However I can no longer boot into Mint - it just hangs after selecting it in GRUB. Is there way to fix this? I'm not averse to reinstalling since I would like it to copy files and stuff which weren't there in the new install of Win7. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Not booting after Win7 startup repair

Post by viking777 »

Try this (how to reinstall grub form a live cd):

http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman546/p ... stall_GRUB
arphaus

Post by arphaus »

Thank you - I will try it and see how it goes :-)
arphaus

Post by arphaus »

I just did a reinstall and the same thing happened after installed Extfsd. After selecting Mint in Grub, I see a black screen with about 2 lines of variegated white dots. Is this an issue with Grub or with the actual installation of Mint?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

arphaus wrote:I just did a reinstall and the same thing happened after installed Extfsd. After selecting Mint in Grub, I see a black screen with about 2 lines of variegated white dots. Is this an issue with Grub or with the actual installation of Mint?
Well as you have just reinstalled grub then I guess it is an issue with the installation instead. I just wanted to start with the easiest option.

The other option is to retry the installation. First of course you should make sure that your iso file has the correct md5 sum. Post back (or search) if you don't know how to do this.
arphaus

Post by arphaus »

Would checking the integrity of the cd from grub do that?

Also, I'd like to be able to access files from Windows, and I recall being able to do this with Ubuntu a couple of years ago. Is Ext2 the best file system for this? I'm not sure what exactly is the gain with Ext3 or Ext4.

I had another thought too - during installation I selected the option to require a password to login & decrypt my home folder. I just did it for the hell of it, I dunno if I really need that much security. Could that be an issue as well?

Much thanks for the help :-)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

arphaus wrote:Would checking the integrity of the cd from grub do that?

Also, I'd like to be able to access files from Windows, and I recall being able to do this with Ubuntu a couple of years ago. Is Ext2 the best file system for this? I'm not sure what exactly is the gain with Ext3 or Ext4.

I had another thought too - during installation I selected the option to require a password to login & decrypt my home folder. I just did it for the hell of it, I dunno if I really need that much security. Could that be an issue as well?

Much thanks for the help :-)
Wow! OK here goes, probably my last throw because I am going on holiday tomorrow!
Checking the integrity of the cd would not help, but checking the md5 of the cd would help enormously. I would imagine that Win7 would have some way to do this, but I don't know what it is, whatever program you used to burn the cd with would be the most obvious choice.

Accessing files from Windows. You mean accessing linux files from windows or windows files from linux? Windows files from linux should be almost automatic, linux files from windows you will need to install windows freeware programs, like:http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux- ... om-windows it cannot do it on its own. In neither case does the filesystem you choose on linux make the slightest difference. You should use ext3 or ext4 for hard disks (personally I would still stick to ext3) ext2 if you want to format usb flash drives with linux filesystems (although you may as well leave those on fat or ntfs if you want to use them in windows as well).

I have never used encrypted folders on linux but I imagine it could be an issue yes but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

So basically check the md5 of the disk, if you can't do that check the md5 of the iso and if it is correct then probably the cd will be as well, then reinstall.

Unfortunately if you have to use Win startup repair again it will always trash Linux.
arphaus

Post by arphaus »

Thanks - you've definitely pointed me in the right direction :-) I'll check the md5, reinstall Mint with a filesystem I can access with a Windows app and hope that I don't have to deal with Windows Startup repair again!

I'm *really* hoping to eventually single boot to Linux and use Virtualbox sparingly for Windows-specific apps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”