Hair pullingly frustrating network problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The problem may have nothing to do with Linux.
maybe it is not the laptop and linux distros maybe it is the router or some other network service/config that is stopping you.

your desktop could be using DHCP but is given static IP for its MAC address or for that port on the router and given MAC.
before getting too technical and dreaming up crazy networks you could do some testing and give us some more info.

MAC addresses of the laptop and desktop?
use you working work around:
when you boot the desktop first, get its IP address.
then when you move the network cable to the laptop, get its IP address.(ifconfig-a)

you could also look at the IPs with the other non-working methods you use.

scorp123 may also have some crazy ideas too.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

sounds like some crazy proxy problem.
or maybe a gateway one. could be dhcp related.

does your work use a proxy?
if so have you set it up in firefox and preferences-->proxy settings?

but still the cable swapping solution makes no sense for proxy unless...
you need a better network guy than me.

have you tried leaving the work laptop on and networked while your off else where and when you come back swapping and booting?

now I'm just making up all sorts of scenarios for testing.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Quirrel wrote: One of the network management programs has an option on it to automatically detect proxy and that worked. I can't remember what distro it was on or what network manager it was. Any ideas?
Sorry, our crystal balls are out for repairs and I am not good at Tarot cards ... but maybe Boo has improved on his palm reading skills? Can you please send us a picture of your hand palms? Maybe the layout of the lines will tell us more. I will also tell my secretaries to dance around naked ... this usually is quite inspiring for us admins here and we then come up with tons of "fresh ideas", some of which even include Linux .... :wink:

Just joking. :lol:

Seriously ... you will have to give us more precise details please. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Hair pullingly frustrating network problem

Post by scorp123 »

Quirrel wrote: At work on the other hand .... My windows laptop at work plugs into the network fires up and connects everytime. No problems with network printing or access to the internet.
Was that Windows machine issued by your employer? And was it configured by your company's IT division? That would explain a lot ...

Where I currently work the use of non-company computers on the company's network is strictly forbidden! They even have MAC-filters ("MAC" here means "Machine Access Code"; the low-level hexadecimal hardware address of your network interface) so that non-approved PC's that someone tried to plug into the network can't get anywhere and don't even get a TCP/IP address ... Instead any attempts to get into network would trigger an alarm and a security team will show up in no time. There are switches under each group of desks ... so the alert log will tell them from which group of desks the connection attempt originated (because they are all connected to the same switch).

Even if they don't have such strict security measures at your work place I suggest you be cautious with these things and get approval first to really make sure you don't run into any unpleasant troubles.

I'd check with your company's IT division if what you are doing there is even allowed? Plugging your private laptop into your company's network can cost you your career otherwise. And if they ever find a virus in the network they can blame it on you and then sue you for damages ... Even if you are not in the USA where they can easily seek millions from you it could get very expensive.
Quirrel wrote: Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Sounds like they use NTLM authentication for all their connections. Is your Windows machine a member in their domain? Do you authenticate via a Windows domain controller? There you go. Besides I seriously doubt you're supposed to plugin your private equipment into your company's network ... see above. If they wanted you to do that they'd implement simple "out of the box" standard DHCP and not bother with such things ...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Scorp123 is right - you may not be allowed to use your own computer in the company net.
But if you are the "trick" described here may help you
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... or_envy.3F
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I can see 2 possible readings of your handy work.

1. using a manual network configuration
general tab, tick the "Automatic service discovery"
this may automatically detect your proxy settings.

2. menu-->preferences--> network proxy.
proxy config tab.
now if you know the manual proxy settings you can enter them.
your network may use an automatic proxy config so use the bottom one.
you may or may not need the url, just test it with and without.

more things to try...

Return to “Beginner Questions”