[SOLVED] facebook redirects to socialfreebies (firefox only)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pokemoncatdog

[SOLVED] facebook redirects to socialfreebies (firefox only)

Post by pokemoncatdog »

Sorry if in wrong forum!

I am using Linux Mint 8 and Firefox 3.5.8 (Firefox for Linux Mint - 1.0), when I get the redirect. I just test it using opera and chrome and no redirect. THE REDIECT is only in Firefox! I LOVE Firefox, but I think I will use chrome until this is fixed. :!: :?:

In Firefox I go to facebook.com and get redirected to http://socialfreebies.com/?so and then exited to tab I get the error "Are you sure you want to navigate away form this page? WAIT! Click Cancel to Get the NEW Facebook Toolbar! Press OK to Cancel to stay on the current page."

"Cancel" will open this page "http://sp.ask.com/socialmini/socialmini ... ID=epc-261" "OK" will exit the tab.

Also in Firefox if I google facebook and open facebook using google I can get to it just like that. I only get redirected when I try to go to facebook form the address bar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Facebook facebook redirects to socialfreebies (firefox o

Post by beefstu »

Its probably better fitted into the Software & Applications category as its not a bug

I would imagine you've picked up a virus in Firefox (Linux is NOT immune!)

The best way to get rid of it is to completely reinstall Firefox - this will loose you favorites and bookmarks etc.

Goto package manager, find firefox-3.5, click the green box and select mark for complete removal then click apply.

Once thats done, find firefox-3.5 again and click the box then mark for installation then apply

this should help you!
pokemoncatdog

Post by pokemoncatdog »

(Linux is NOT immune!)
I KNOW! I will try reinstalling Firefox. After using chrome for a bit, I found it to be better then Firefox. I think I will keep using chrome for now.
vincent

Post by vincent »

You don't have to do a complete re-install of Firefox. However, what you do have to do is to go into your Home folder, press CTRL + H to show all hidden folders, and delete the ".mozilla" folder. That will essentially delete all your bookmarks, extensions, configurations, etc., but it'll save you the hassle of having to re-install Firefox through Synaptic. The next time you open Firefox, it'll create a new profile for you.

The next best idea is to get a virus scanner, like ClamAV (available in the repos), and scan your entire Home folder. As far as I know, everything under "/" is read-only without root access with the exception of "/home", so as long as you're running as a normal user, your system should not have been compromised unless you did something stupid with root access, but your Home folder may still be contaminated since viruses that enter your system would have read and write access to that folder, so once you get ClamAV, update the virus definitions, and preferably grab Clamtk (the GUI front-end) if you're uncomfortable running a virus scanner from the Terminal, and scan your Home folder recursively. Delete anything nasty that pops up, and you should be good to go.
reign.santiago2

Post by reign.santiago2 »

This is right and you might reinstall your fire fox completely so you would not suffer anymore the same problem I encountered before. Just follow what he has said. You'll see your problem will go away.

Return to “Beginner Questions”