I cant see my linux login screen!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Migugim1

I cant see my linux login screen!

Post by Migugim1 »

i use to be able to login without a problem. now when i boot my linux i cant see the login screen. ii see the linux mint symbol but after that all i get to see is like two under scores. one to the left about 4 inches to the right and the other on the right about 4 inches to the left. i waited an hour to see if it would load but nothing happened. by the way im using linux mint 8.

the last thing i downloaded was xbmc. but idk if that had anything to do with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: I cant see my linux login screen!

Post by viking777 »

When it stalls hit Ctl/Alt/F1 and see if you get a login prompt in a virtual terminal. If you do then login there and when you are logged in type

Code: Select all

startx
If that works then get rid of xbmc (package manager) and see if the problem goes away.

Return to “Beginner Questions”