Can Mint be run as a live cd?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Can Mint be run as a live cd?

Post by 1984 »

I'd like to try out mint and see what it is like. How do I run mint as a live cd to try it out?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Can Mint be run as a live cd?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just download and burn or otherwise obtain the install CD (or DVD for Universal or KDE versions). They all come as live disks.

Place the disk in your CD player and set your BIOS to boot from CDROM . Start the computer and the live CD should load. It will be slow since it is running from the CD and not from the hard drive, but you will be able to try out the features and check hardware compatibility.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1984 wrote:I'd like to try out mint and see what it is like. How do I run mint as a live cd to try it out?
Download Linux Mint 8 Helena and read the User Guide.

Joe

Post by 1984 »

Ok I downloaded Helena and copied it to disk. When I boot from it the screen like in the user guide comes up and says will automatically boot in, and then does a countdown. Instead of going to a boot menu it goes straight to a black screen with the Linux mint logo flashing in the center.

And there it stays. Eventually the logo stops flashing. Half an hour later it was still the same way. What do I do?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

@1984,
When you see the count down screen that you described press the space bar. Then scroll down to the compatibility mode.

Post by 1984 »

That didn't work either. One of the option on the menu through was "check the integrity of the cd and it came back with errors found 1. So I am assuming that that is my problem. An error durring downloading or burning? I assume I'm going to have to go back out and buy another disk now.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1984 wrote:One of the option on the menu through was "check the integrity of the cd and it came back with errors found 1. So I am assuming that that is my problem. An error durring downloading or burning?
Could certainly be. In the section that you're downloading from, the MD5 checksum is provided to validate that you downloaded the ISO successfully. As for burning, I would recommend doing so at the slowest available speed, regardless of what the CD/DVD claims it can be done at.

Joe

Return to “Beginner Questions”