screen resolution and other issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sportflyer

screen resolution and other issues

Post by sportflyer »

I just installed Linux Mint inside of Virtualbo 3.1.4 .
Mint is running OK but screen is only 800x600 with no other choices available under Display . Check monitors does not work
I tried to install Additions but it wont work either. It is behaving the same way as my Fedora 12 installation.

When I try to update Mint by clicking on the update lock icon ( indicates I have 93 updates ! ) , the update manager comes up grayed out with the spinning circle icon but nothing is happening.

Need help. Tks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: screen resolution and other issues

Post by akaNed »

Are you running Virtualbox in Linux or Windows? Do you have any other virtual machines running, and do they run ok?
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

sportflyer, did you install: "guest Additions Tools"? You need to do this to get the resolution to change. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virt ... ddons.html
sportflyer

Post by sportflyer »

I am running Linux Mint as Guest with Windows 7 as host.

After I open my Linux Mint , there is a Linux Additions CD on my desktop . When I click on it , a window opens showing the various additions as expected .

I then open a Terminal and typed the following:

su ./VboxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run

I get a message saying folder cannot be open ??

I notice that there is a X64 tab after I open the CD in which the text says something about extracting Windows drivers to the C drive ? what's this about.

Not sure what to do next .
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

open a terminal and enter cd and then a space, and then click on and hold (LH mouse button) the CD displayed on the desktop and drag it to the terminal and then press enter.
You should now see the path to the cdrom mounted in media, i.e. ~/Desktop/media/cdrom $
check to make sure you are working in that directory by typing

Code: Select all

pwd

~/Desktop/media/cdrom $
At the ~Desktop/media/cdrom $ prompt type

Code: Select all

sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run
then enter.
you will be asked a series of questions and if in doubt the default answer is correct - just press enter.
sportflyer

Post by sportflyer »

I got the VB Additions installed by clicking on the auto install icon then rebooting the guest.
Its much better now. I can now change the resolutions . Can I input a manual resolution ? My best screen resolution is 1680X1050.
Mouse integration is very useful.

Can I now delete the iso images since I am now running on the vdi file?

How do I get the updates to work? I still get the lock and hovering my mouse over it displays "checking for updates "

Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”