Need help practicing to install software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PerryThePlatypus

Need help practicing to install software

Post by PerryThePlatypus »

Hiya

Me again with another question about the file extensions for installing software onto ones compootahr :)

I'm still no quite getting the hang of installing programs that aren't .deb or .exe (using WINE)

SO what im wondering is could someone rate which type of package is easiest to hardest to install and what i do to go about the business of installing it please. I mean i've come across ones which have the install.sh script in it and i've tried making it executable but mostly doesn't work or i've come across ones which i've tried the whole ./configure then make install thing but doesn't work. I'm just practicing so i can get the hang of it so i'm not installing anything in particular, i'll just look for each type of file and practice around with them try n get a feel for it with a little help from any of you guys n gals if at all possible.

Thanks

P.S If this makes no sense its because i'm shattered so just let me know and i'll try to elaborate. Thanks again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Need help practicing to install software

Post by markcynt »

For install.sh you just open a terminal in the directory it resides in and run

Code: Select all

sudo sh install.sh
When installing these types of programs it's a good idea to install the Gnome development pattern first

sudo apt-get install gnome-devel 
Also for the tar packages there's usually a README or INSTALL text file in the extracted folder containing instructions for that particular package.

If you need more help it's best to start a thread explaining what you want to do along with a link to the specific package you're trying to install.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

The easiest to install, and maintain, are those contained in the repositories. These can be installed with:

sudo apt-get install package-name
When installing using the whole ./config, make, install procedure there is a package that can make keeping track of packages, updates and all a bit easier. It is 'checkinstall', and can be installed with:

sudo apt-get install checkinstall
Then instead of running 'install' after ./config & make, you run checkinstall. This places the package under control of the package manager so it is much easier to remove the package at a later date.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
PerryThePlatypus

Hiya

Thanks for the replies. I get the drift of it a bit better now, didn't realise you put sh in front of install.sh. As for the get apt, can you add other programs to the repository instead of using the install.sh or is it only for certain certified releases of software?

Thanks
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Depends what you're looking for.

It's best to ask specific software questions by software name.

If a program isn't in the repos it's possible a repo can be added that does have the program.

There's also .deb packages, which install in a manner familiar to Windows users (just double-click).
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

If the software is not in the Package Manager, you can go to the projects home page to see if they offer a repository that you can add to your list. Usually there will be instructions on how to do that, or you can always do a search to see if someone else has tried to install it. I've not found many software packages that weren't offered in a repository or as a .deb.
PerryThePlatypus

Hiya

I know about the .deb packages theyre easy enough. It was just in general i was wondering its nothing specific as i'm just practicing at the moment.

Thanks for replying anyway i think im getting there :)
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

PerryThePlatypus wrote:Hiya

I know about the .deb packages theyre easy enough. It was just in general i was wondering its nothing specific as i'm just practicing at the moment.

Thanks for replying anyway i think im getting there :)
Practicing is the best way to learn. Other then hosing your system and fixing it again :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”