Need to boot to console instead of GUI[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eparkerii

Need to boot to console instead of GUI[SOLVED]

Post by eparkerii »

I'm running LM8, the LXDE version. How can I boot to the console instead of the GUI. I need to install an nVidia driver from the console- the X server can't be running or the install will fail. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Need to boot to console instead of GUI

Post by vincent »

I'm not altogether sure about how to boot directly to console without going to the GUI (I believe there are some specific boot parameters you can set to do just that), but another way that's pretty easy is to type CTRL + ALT + Fx (where x is a number between 1 and 6) to switch to a terminal without a GUI interface, and then, after logging in with your username and password, typing this:

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
That should kill your GUI and allow you to install your drivers. Once you're done:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
And press CTRL + ALT + F7 to go back to your GUI...assuming your driver install went all right and X hasn't been borked or anything. If it has, that's a totally different issue. :P
eparkerii

Post by eparkerii »

Thanks for the reply! Tried your suggestion and got:

sudo: /etc/init.d/gdm: command not found
I did a search for 'gdm'- no dice. I then went to /etc/init.d and tried to figure out which command might work, to no avail. Any ideas?
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

eparkerii wrote:Thanks for the reply! Tried your suggestion and got:

sudo: /etc/init.d/gdm: command not found
I did a search for 'gdm'- no dice. I then went to /etc/init.d and tried to figure out which command might work, to no avail. Any ideas?
Instead of the above code you can use the following:

sudo stop gdm
Then to restart after installing the video drivers:

sudo start gdm
Of course this is done by first logging out of Mint, then at the login screen typing CTRL-ALT-F1 to enter tty1. Login with your username and password, then issue the command to stop gdm, install your driver, and then restart gdm.

Easier yet is to install Envy and let it install the drivers for you. In a terminal type:

sudo apt-get install envyng-core
When it is finished type:

sudo envyng -t
Follow the prompts to install or remove the drivers.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
eparkerii

Post by eparkerii »

Unfortunately, still no results. I get:

stop: Unknown job: gdm
I've executed 'locate gdm' and I can't seem to find an instance of gdm in any of the 'bin' directories- it would appear not to be installed? Running 'whatis gdm' yields 'gdm: nothing appropriate'. There is the directory '/etc/gdm' but nothing within seems to be what I'm looking for.

It took a look at gdm in the Package Manager- it's described as 'GNOME Display Manager'. Is it possible that I would need to install this? Forgive the dumb questions- I'm going slowly here as I don't want to hose anything.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

What does running the following command show?

ls /etc/init.d | grep gdm
eparkerii

Post by eparkerii »

Nothing is returned.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

Just realised you are using the LXDE version of Mint, and I'm not sure if they are using gdm or another login manager.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

For me installing Nvidia drivers through envy has always been much easier and pain free.
eparkerii

Post by eparkerii »

OK, that explains a few things :). I've been trying to figure out what the login manager is- no luck so far.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

LXDE may use xdm, so you could look for that in /etc/init.d. Also another option is as follows:
  • Logout and login to tty1 (CTRL-ALT-F1)
  • Then enter the folowing code to bring you to a single user run-level

sudo telinit 1
  • Wait until a recovery mode window pops up, and choose the root terminal.
  • Install the Nvidia drivers and reboot.
eparkerii

Post by eparkerii »

OK, I installed envyng-core and used it to install the nVidia driver. There's no nVidia splash screen but looked in xorg.conf- the driver seems to be installed. Google Earth is responding much better now, so all's right with the world.

BTW, I tried 'sudo telinit 1' and the screen just went blank- interesting. CTRL + ALT + F7 didn't bring back the desktop. CTRL + ALT + DEL didn't work either- had to hit the power button.

I'd still like to find out how to kill X and drop back to the console. I've used Slackware exclusively since 2001 and that type of operation is no problem. It's then a simple procedure to install an nVidia driver.

This Linux Mint install is on an older machine that will soon belong to someone else. I have to say that, so far, I'm impressed with Linux Mint and the LXDE desktop. LXDE has a little maturing to do but it's quick and it seems to work pretty well.

I very much appreciate the two of you responding so quickly and helping me out. This is my first experience with the Linux Mint forums and I'm very impressed. I'm reasonably well versed in Slackware but am still trying to find stuff in Linux Mint, so I'll be definitely be back.

BTW, is envyng just for nVidia drivers or drivers in general? Also, how to I mark this issue solved?

Thanks again!
Last edited by eparkerii on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

eparkerii wrote:OK, I installed envyng-core and used it to install the nVidia driver. There's no nVidia splash screen but looked in xorg.conf- the driver seems to be installed. Google Earth is responding much better now, so all's right with the world.

BTW, I tried 'sudo telinit 1' and the screen just went blank- interesting. CTRL + ALT + F7 didn't bring back the desktop. CTRL + ALT + DEL didn't work either- had to hit the power button.

I'd still like to find out how to kill X and drop back to the console. I've used Slackware exclusively since 2001 and that type of operation is no problem. It's then a simple procedure to install an nVidia driver.

This Linux Mint install is on an older machine that will soon belong to someone else. I have to say that, so far, I'm impressed with Linux Mint and the LXDE desktop. LXDE has a little maturing to do but it's quick and it seems to work pretty well.

I very much appreciate the two of you responding so quickly and helping me out. This is my first experience with the Linux Mint forums and I'm very impressed. I'm reasonably well versed in Slackware but am still trying to find stuff in Linux Mint, so I'll be definitely be back.

BTW, is envyng just for nVidia drivers or drivers in general? Also, how to I mark this issue solved?

Thanks again!
The telinit command worked for me if I was in tty1, but I'm running the Main Edition of Mint, so the LXDE may be different. Ubuntu/Mint now use Upstart, so gdm is just a link to Upstart. I wish I could help you on how to kill X, but things have changed with the most recent version of XORG, so I'm not really sure anymore.

Envy will also install/uninstall ATI drivers. That's it's sole purpose, and it does it well.

Welcome to Mint :D The community here is very helpful.
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

Oh, and just edit your first post and put [Solved] into the subject box
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

For reference sake, Mint 8 LXDE uses slim as a login manager as it's significantly lighter and faster than gdm. Future editions will hopefully be using lxdm as it has much better language support than slim does.

Return to “Beginner Questions”