wirelees activation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonjac

wirelees activation

Post by jonjac »

I am running a Acer laptop travelmate 5320 I have just loaded linux mint 8. and it works ok with the ethernet cable plugged in but I cannot get it to make any sense at all on the wireless connection it has a BCM94311 card but I don't appear to have a driver for it.
it works ok on Wxp pro with the acer driver I downloaded, but I would like to know where to get a driver for linux.
any help at appreciated.
j.j
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: wirelees activation

Post by remoulder »

jonjac wrote:a BCM94311 card but I don't appear to have a driver for it.
Look in Administration | Hardware Drivers.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Make sure your mint has updated (using ethernet) then go
Menu>Control Centre and have a look at Hardware Drivers. You will hopefully find a driver there ready to activate.

edit..Cross posted remoulder :)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

check this thread - Exploder helped me out and i got a linksys/broadcom going on an old dell on XFCE Mint & Gloria - I could never get this card to work. If I can get it - you should be able to.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36017

Hope this helps.

I had tried an acer years ago - I actually started Mint since Barbara come to think of it and I could never get any laptop with broadcom to work - last year it did work on the dell.

I sent every laptop back and went with thinkpads and intel wireless chips and never an issues so far.

knock on wood.

Good luck.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

P.S. Don't rush and try to read carefully and follow the steps.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

Also you might give this a shot. Picked it up from the Ubuntu forums here,
This worked for my Acer 4720z. The wireless card is a Broadcom BCM94311MCG. I performed the following steps in this order:

1. Connect the Ethernet to internet and get all updates.
2. In System->Administration->Restricted Drivers, enable the broadcom firmware.
3. Reboot
Worth a shot. I too used to fight with Broadcom drivers :( , then Atheros :? , now I have a Thinkpad....no problems :D
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks akaNed!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:Thanks akaNed!
Long live Lenovo :lol:
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

:)

have you tried the thinkpad wireless card? I was wondering if it works. I always pay the extra if not included for the various intel wireless cards. Just curious. Might be good information to know around here.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

No, I also have an Intel card, the 5100 I think. I have a Thinkpad SL410. Nice machine. Not fancy, but very solid.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I am glad you mentioned the machine. how old is it? I was wondering how they were.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

I got it back in September. I really like it. 14" widescreen, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel graphics, blah, blah. I got it at Best Buy (not my first choice) for around $600. I'm very pleased with it so far. It used to have Windows 7, but no more :( It's my first Thinkpad, but it just feels solidly built, and I love the keyboard.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

the thinkpad r500 I bought for my wife that runs Gloria and I am using at the present is a solid machine - more internal casing than yours from what i have been told. The keyboard is more plinkier than the other 2 thinkpad R series i had in the past. Basic model but nice machine. Now the pric is about $400 more than what I paid last year. That is why I looked at the basic celeron sl on sale now. I need my own now that I have work to do here. May be a while.

Maybe time for a Buy GrayWizard a basic thinkpad....Just kidding.....JUST Kidding. :lol:
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
jonjac

Post by jonjac »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
I done as suggested by "greywizard" and everything clicked into place automatically
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

excellent! glad to hear you got things working! ...please edit the topic of this thread with the "[SOLVED]" so that folks will know the problem has been resolved.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

jonjac - That is fantastic. I could not live without wireless generally speaking. That is all we have in the house is laptops. My main laptop is hard-wired and never leaved my office or desk at the moment. all the others are throughout the house. and even have an old one in my shed for my garden and vineyard notes, etc.

Thank Exploder - he sent me in the right direction... :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Beginner Questions”