Stopping auto login into mint account (running from a live u

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carpenter

Stopping auto login into mint account (running from a live u

Post by carpenter »

Just to say I am totally new to linux first, but I like the idea of running Linux Mint(helena) from my Usb thumb-drive and so not installing it - like I've been told you should do - onto a hard-drive.

And so my problem is that linux Mint is - I think - adding a "Live session user" with User name = mint, and is logging into that account automatically at startup - when I'm running linux from my usb. I have even logged out of and back into that user-name's account using a password.

Therefore, how would I go about stopping the auto login, into the mint account? I would like to try to get the login screen to appear at startup, where I would then have to enter a password.

The "User name: mint" account too, is not seemingly being listed in "Users and Groups" in the "Control Center"
root and one other that I added, are all that I have being listed...

I hage changed the login screen settings (in the mint, the account I added and the root account) to show the screen for choosing who will log in, but it doen't seem to be taking.

Extras:
Disadvantages of running from a usb?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Stopping auto login into mint account (running from a li

Post by remoulder »

What you seem to have done is copy the livecd onto a USB stick. As this is a livecd it does not have the same setup as an installed system and is configured to use a fixed account. Even if you managed to get a user account to login, you probably wouldn't be able to save anything. What you need to do is 'install' mint to the USB stick. There are some posts in the Howto section explaining how to do this.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
carpenter

Re: Stopping auto login into mint account (running from a li

Post by carpenter »

Thanks for the help

I used http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ to create the live Usb stick I'm using - there was nothing to it - and I can use the Update Manager(My system is up to date) and install new apps (have installed a driver, BleachBit & nmap so far) which all seem to be persistent. I needed to get an 8Gig usb thumb though as my 4Gig one ran out of space during my first update using Update Manager.

All seems OK to me, except for my login problem. Do you think that there may be another way around it... and if not do you know if it is safe to browse the Internet say, using the default mint account that I am automatically being logged into?

Extras:
fat32/4Gig + 2Gig persistent file on a 8Gig live usb thumb drive...
persistent file on a usb thumb drive...

Return to “Beginner Questions”