Can Mint FireFox Read Internet Explorer Favorites?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can Mint FireFox Read Internet Explorer Favorites?

Postby george on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a way to save my Internet Explorer Favorites, and use them in MINT LINUX with the Firefox browser. Any ideas?
[size=18]George [/size]
george
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm

Bookmark Converter. That's the name of the program I used the last time I converted someone to Linux. I don't know the URL by heart but I am sure Google would find it instantly. Bookmark Converter will read your favorites and create a bookmarks.html file which you could then copy over to your Linux installation and place inside the folder ~/.mozilla/firefox/default.rku/ (or something like this?? Not sure) .. Firefox should automatically use it.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Lokanna on Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:54 pm

I use a KVM switch between a windows PC and a Linux box. A great add on that I found for FireFox (and I believe there is an add-on for IE) is ChipMark. You might want to consider using something like that. It integrates flawlessly (for me) with Firefox and has made switching between the two OS' much easier.
Lokanna
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mschilling on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 am

It's easy to load them from IE to Firefox if that's all you need. You just export them from IE and then with Bookmarks manager in Firefox, you can import the file.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 900i on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:45 am

I thought this was so basic an operation, that it didn't warrant a posting, let alone a reply!

But then I was obviously wrong, :shock:

There thats my controversial post for this week.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mschilling on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm

lol, that's what noobs ask! I'd be happier if I could get my links to show up on the desktop somewhere ala WinXP taskbar location. Saves having to go first to the browser.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nick on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:34 pm

I'd be happier if I could get my links to show up on the desktop somewhere ala WinXP taskbar location. Saves having to go first to the browser.

Right Click on desktop/Create New Link to location(url) cut and past link.

Not sure if its the same as Windows-have never used windows :) (Really)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mschilling on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm

The WinXP taskbar link list is a shortcut to the same link list that the browser has. The advantage is that you don't have to manually add links that are shortcuts to the browser.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

there is also the foxmarks bookmark sync addon for firefox... I use it all over my computers ... it works great... besicaly it saves your firefox bookmarks to a free online account and syncs all other firefoxes which have foxmarks installed and registered with your account...

so you could easily install firefox with foxmarks on your windows (it asks to import IE favourites automatically)...

than add foxmarks to your mint firefox and voila :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby newW2 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:43 pm

I use foxmarks now as well. I got tired of exporting storing to usb drive, or whatever, whenever I installed another machine. If you're off site foxmarks makes it a snap.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 900i on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:47 am

Foxmarks for me too.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions