Firefox doesn't get updated...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox doesn't get updated...

Post by sdim »

Hi,everyone.
I installed Mint 8 KDE almost a month ago,but although in Windows Firefox gets regularly and automatically updated (3.6.2 now),in Mint it has remained stuck to the 3.5.8 version.Is there something I'm not doing well...?
Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
Gramps50

Re: Firefox doesn't get updated...

Post by Gramps50 »

I think that FF 3.5.8 is the current version in the debian/Ubuntu/LinuxMint repostories. It takes a little longer for the newer versions to trickle down to us. I'm guess it has to do with packaging and testing.

In Windows you are getting the updates straight from Mozilla.
RadioActiveRice

Post by RadioActiveRice »

firefox 3.6.2 will work for Linux Mint 8 (gnome):

1 download firefox 3.6 at http://www.mozilla.com
2 extract the archive by right click and "Open with Archive Manager"
3 once extracted you can open the firefox executable file. or
4 create a launcher for the firefox executable by right click on deskop and "Create Launcher".
for the command box, browse to the firefox executable file you just extracted.

3.6.2 will import all the 3.5.8 setting, including add-on.
it would be nice to have a Mint persona... :D

Enjoy
vincent

Post by vincent »

sdim, the reason why Firefox seems to be stuck at 3.5.8, as well as other major apps (take OpenOffice.org for example; the one in the official repos is still at 3.1.1 while Sun's recent release of OOo is version 3.2) is because Ubuntu values stability and often 'locks in' application versions to ensure that everything works the way they should. If you'd like a more updated version of any particular app, look for a Personal Package Archive (PPA) on Launchpad that's more up-to-date, or go to the vendor's site. Personally, I always go look for a PPA first; they are easier to install (you add another repository into Synaptic and then you install through the software manager or mintUpdate, simple as that), especially if the vendor forces you to compile the program yourself if you grab it from their website, and it's also more likely to be compatible with Ubuntu/Mint and easier to update (mintUpdate does all the work for you; there's no need to run Secunia or other apps like you normally do on Windows to keep your software up-to-date).

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... ox-stable/
Note: Since Firefox 3.6.2 was just released like 2 days ago or so, the PPA version hasn't caught up yet (it's at 3.6), but should catch up fairly quickly depending on the PPA maintainers.

Quick way to load the repo and install Firefox 3.6:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
sudo apt-get update
Now open mintUpdate and just update everything that ties in with Firefox, and you're done. :)

RadioActiveRice, there are several Mint personas out there. This is the one I use:
http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/55013
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks for the answers,guys.
I know how to install 3.6.2 downloading it from Mozilla,but I don't really want to do that.
I just wanted to have a safe version,because there is a lot being said these last few days about a vulnerability issue prior to 3.6.2.
I think I'll just wait for the official update.
Many thanks,again.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630

Return to “Beginner Questions”