Linux Mint sound problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ab777

Linux Mint sound problem

Post by ab777 »

I'm using Linux Mint 8 (downloaded 25/03/10) on an Asus M4A785G (Video: Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU, Sound: VIA VT1828S/VT2020) but there is no sound playing a DVD or listening to music (.wav) from the HD. The DVD video is displayed but everything is in "fast forward". I do NOT have this problem in Ubuntu 9.10 - everything works 100%.
Found this post: ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -8-790147/ ) by jiobo "For those who run Linux Mint 8, there seemed to be a problem with it switching sound output devices from "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" to "HDA ATI HDMI Digital Stereo (HDMI)" in that movies would play in fast forward mode without sound when doing so with Totem. You could tell Linux Mint about this so they can fix it."
I'm a complete newby with Linux and would like to "fix" this problem on my HTPC. Is there a solution? Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint 8 no sound & movies in "fast forward"

Post by remoulder »

Try installing vlc. If the information in the link is correct then they should play OK in that as it doesn't use gstreamer.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ab777

Re: Linux Mint sound problem

Post by ab777 »

I could not solve the sound problem so I waited for Ubuntu 10.04. Installed it on the same computer and the sound worked on both the stereo outputs and the HDMI output when switched under "Sound Preferences/Output" But...... this mother board has surround sound outputs (7.1) and there is NO surround sound settings in alsamixer available. I installed linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic and then all the settings were available. Unfortunately now I have HDMI output but NO sound on Stereo or Surround when switching under "Sound Preferences/Output"!! So I waited for LInuxMint 9, did a fresh install and have the exact same problem as Ubuntu 10.04. That is: Stereo and HDMI work but no surround (also no sliders for surround in alsamixer) after a fresh install and after the backports install HDMI works but no stereo or surround although the settings/sliders is available in alsa. Please help! I'm a total Linux idiot and don't know what to do next. (All sliders are set to max in alsa and there is NO IEC958 setting that can be disabled as suggested by some users.)
P.s. The PulseAudio Volume meter shows good signal level for Internal Analog Audio Stereo but I can't hear anything on the physical output connectors.
ab777

Post by ab777 »

Update: When I select Sound Preferences/Output/Internal Analog Stereo I do get audio from the front Headphone socket but still NO Stereo or Surround outputs. Hope this will give some indication of what is going on. Still waiting for an answer..... Thank you.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Open a terminal and type "sudo alsamixer" once it is open press F6 for a list of sound devices. Find the device with the HDMI port and make sure it is not muted.
ab777

Post by ab777 »

Thank you JasonLG but the HDMI is not muted.

Did a fresh install of Mint 9 again and used the alsa upgrade script and is now using ALSA 1.0.23 and this is the current situation:

HDMI working (Stereo only). Connected directly to my Sony LCD TV HDMI input.
Front headphone jack working. (Test it using headphones)
Surround sound rear jacks working i.e Center/Sub, Rear, Side and Front speakers working. (Test it using headphones)
Rear stereo output gold plated RCA connectors NO audio (These connectors feed my stereo amplifier and speakers and is my preferred setup.)

But, if I plug my headphones into the green colored "Line Out port" jack at the back then the sound appears from the gold plated stereo RCA connectors! Amazing!!:) That means that I will need to keep my headphones plugged into the "Line Out port/Front" jack to have high quality stereo from the gold plated RCA connectors. I don't want to do that. (BTW, I can hear audio on the headphones while being plugged into the line out port) Could this be a jack sensing problem?

Here is my ALSA info: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=18797 ... 67c0adde69

Hope someone can help me. Regards.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

ab777 wrote:Thank you JasonLG but the HDMI is not muted.

Did a fresh install of Mint 9 again and used the alsa upgrade script and is now using ALSA 1.0.23 and this is the current situation:

HDMI working (Stereo only). Connected directly to my Sony LCD TV HDMI input.
Front headphone jack working. (Test it using headphones)
Surround sound rear jacks working i.e Center/Sub, Rear, Side and Front speakers working. (Test it using headphones)
Rear stereo output gold plated RCA connectors NO audio (These connectors feed my stereo amplifier and speakers and is my preferred setup.)

But, if I plug my headphones into the green colored "Line Out port" jack at the back then the sound appears from the gold plated stereo RCA connectors! Amazing!!:) That means that I will need to keep my headphones plugged into the "Line Out port/Front" jack to have high quality stereo from the gold plated RCA connectors. I don't want to do that. (BTW, I can hear audio on the headphones while being plugged into the line out port) Could this be a jack sensing problem?

Here is my ALSA info: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=18797 ... 67c0adde69

Hope someone can help me. Regards.
That's strange, I don't what to say to that. Sorry.
keyneom

Post by keyneom »

I know it doesn't sound like the best answer in the world, but since it's something that happens upstream (with Ubuntu also) it's probably not something the Linux Mint developers are likely to try working on, if it is even an issue with either of the distros, to be honest I would think it is more of an ALSA issue and probably something you would have to work with them on, if you can use that same version of ALSA on another distro without problems then that might be something Ubuntu would start to work on but I think it is just an ALSA issue. My personal opinion dunno what you think about it, but if you get it working completely I would like to know about it. Hope that didn't sound mean or anything. Best of Luck, hope you can find someone who can help you.
ab777

Post by ab777 »

Thank you guys for the replies. Thinking about what you said keyneom I tend to agree with you. I will try the ALSA people and if I find a solution I will post back here. In the mean time I can maybe use a terminated plug in the line output jack and have my sound working 100%. I will test it this coming weekend. I know this is not the elegant solution but at least I will be able to enjoy the superb audio quality coming from the gold plated RCA connectors on my HiFi system. This mother board (ASUS M4A785G) is really something when it comes to stereo audio!

To anyone with sound problems I can absolutely recommend the upgrade script as the jack sensing is the only problem left with this MB. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810) Use the Rev. 1.0.23-2.sh version. On a fresh Mint 9 install the script downloaded more or less 80 Mb of data. Kind regards and thank you for the good suggestions.
keyneom

Post by keyneom »

Good to know, I really do love the alsa update script also! I had some issues previously using Mint 7 trying to get my internal speakers working (my headphones worked fine), and had to use the update script to get things working properly on it. Now things work fine with Mint 9 but I think it's always a good idea when having problems with audio to try the update and see if that fixes it.
ab777

Post by ab777 »

Inserting a dummy plug into the line output jack solved the problem, I now have perfect sound from the stereo RCA connectors. I could not find an answer to this problem and will use the system with the dummy plug permanently installed. :roll:

Return to “Beginner Questions”