Changing default program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
himawari

Changing default program?

Post by himawari »

How would I go about changing which program opens a sound/video file by default? It's currently Totem Movie Player and I would like to change it to mplayer instead. I'm running Mint 8.
(I saw the option to change it under Control Centre > Preferred Applications > Multimedia, but I don't know what the next step is.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Changing default program?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Another way is to right-click the media you are playing. For instance, if you right click an avi file, go to Properties -> Open With. Whatever you change the default program to, that program will now open any future avi files.

In regards to Preferred Applications, you should be able to switch the default to mplayer (I think the GUI you refer to is now Gnome MPlayer?). In any case, if the entry does not exist, select Custom and use the command you desire, such as mplayer or gnome-mplayer.
himawari

Post by himawari »

I've been doing the right click thing for awhile and it's been rather troublesome.

I tried typing "gnome-mplayer" into the box that un-greys when the "Custom" option is selected but it still opens up in Totem?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Install Ubuntu Tweak and you'll be able to change loads all in the same window via a GUI, amongst other things.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”