How do I prevent Mint Folder re-creation?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MadOp

How do I prevent Mint Folder re-creation?

Post by MadOp »

Hi,

I usually have folders that overlap the ones customized in Mint (i.e. Downloads, Network, etc.) and I removed those but "Network" in particular appears to be always re-created by the system... how do I prevent that from happening?

Please note that I have already set the preferences in pyNeighborhood, so that one is not the program creating the folder.

Edit: I should add that I am using the XFCE version of Gloria (Mint 7 IIRC)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: How do I prevent Mint Folder re-creation?

Post by ArcherSeven »

Ok.... Guessing that a daemon is creating that folder on start, gonna go as far as to say it's Samba or something similar, so you can try to find the samba configuration and change in there... or "network" or "nfs" (network file system) daemons, I'll see if I can come up with an answer for you and post back.

EDIT: My friends on my IRC network tell me that Samba won't do that, and two of them guess NFS, so I would look for nfs or network file system's configuration most likely in /etc/ somewhere. (you'll need to edit it as root, $ sudo mousepad /etc/<config> )
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I prevent Mint Folder re-creation?

Post by deadguy »

I'm not 100% sure because I don't use XFCE Mint but it might be fusesmb creating the network folder....

first check Settings->Settings Manager->Autostarted apps . look for startfuse or something similar and disable it.
if that doesn't do the trick then you might want to try checking your /etc/modules file and commenting out fuse.
in the terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo mousepad /etc/modules
then comment out fuse like this: #fuse

save the file, delete the network folder, reboot and see if it's still gone.

cheers,

Deadguy

Return to “Beginner Questions”