SOLVED: Problem booting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeplyconfused

SOLVED: Problem booting

Post by deeplyconfused »

Having taken ages getting my Mint 8 Gnome configured just the way I want it - with brilliant help on these boards - now it won't boot up. :x

I get the splash screen, and then a message that starts with:
init: unreadahead main process (416) terminated with status 5
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
I feel out of my depth, and can't face a reinstall. Please help pull me back from the brink... :cry: :x

d_c
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: Problem booting

Post by ArcherSeven »

Google and I had issues with this one.
Best I can tell you is: that bit of error message seems to not be involved in why it failed, being as several people have noted it on otherwise fully functional systems.

If fsck is a cause of problems, I would check your fstab for errors, and make sure you have programs for all the filesystems you automount, i.e. ntfs-utils / ntfs-progs for XP (NTFS) partitions.

Other than that: perhaps giving more of the error message could help. You could look in log files (somewhere under /var ) if you can boot the system (livecd) and access them, might have more as well.

Wish I could help more.
deeplyconfused

Re: Problem booting

Post by deeplyconfused »

ArcherSeven wrote:Google and I had issues with this one.
Best I can tell you is: that bit of error message seems to not be involved in why it failed, being as several people have noted it on otherwise fully functional systems.

If fsck is a cause of problems, I would check your fstab for errors, and make sure you have programs for all the filesystems you automount, i.e. ntfs-utils / ntfs-progs for XP (NTFS) partitions.

Other than that: perhaps giving more of the error message could help. You could look in log files (somewhere under /var ) if you can boot the system (livecd) and access them, might have more as well.

Wish I could help more.
I've got an NTFS external harddrive attached to my machine. I turned it off and Mint booted fine. Go figure!

Thanks anyway!

Return to “Beginner Questions”