Installation and partitioning issue, need help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthroguy101

Installation and partitioning issue, need help

Post by anthroguy101 »

Hello, everyone. I just installed Linux Mint and have a few things to worry about:
>Are changes to the partition irreversable, or is there a way I can repartition so that if I want to get rid of Mint I can get the space back?
>I installed the software but I still need to use the CD because when I boot up it still goes straight to Windows.

Thank you!
-Clarke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anthroguy101

Re: Partitioning and Installation

Post by anthroguy101 »

Okay, let me clarify my issue:
I just installed Linux Mint, yet every time I boot up it still goes directly to Windows. I already partitioned my hard drive, and I don't want to do it again. Is there anything serious that I did wrong? How do I make it so that i will be able to switch back to Linux without the disc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
-Clarke
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installation and partitioning issue, need help

Post by eiver »

You need to install GRUB. Then you will have a menu where you can choose the system. And you won't have to use the CD. GRUB should install itself by default. However there are numerous issues people have with GRUB. Recently GRUB2 was released - Mint Helena uses GRUB2. Because GRUB2 is quite new, people have tons of problems with it. Maybe you already have GRUB installed but have several HDDs and you only need to change the boot order in BIOS? Please give more details. Download the boot info script avaliable here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/ After running it will create the file called RESULTS.txt. Post the file here on the forum. (Also do not hesitate to ask if you encounter any problems while trying to run the script).

Regarding your earlier questions:
Are changes to the partition irreversable
Yes. Changes are permanent in the sense that once you do it, there is no undo button.
is there a way I can repartition so that if I want to get rid of Mint I can get the space back?
Yes. You can always simply delete the linux partition to get free unpartitioned disk space. Then you can create a windows partition in that space or you can enlarge your existing windows partition.

Return to “Beginner Questions”