Boot Password Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kenbb99

Boot Password Problem

Post by kenbb99 »

My system has a problem with asking for a password on boot. At installation I set up the system not to ask for a password, but about half the time when Mint boots from power off it asks for a password. The other half of the time it boots correctly with no password. When it asks for a password, entering a password does not work - the system does not load correctly (see below for what happens) and ends up back at the password screen. Entering no password or selecting "Other" user and entering a password causes an authentication error.

What is causing this problem? How do I get the system to boot correctly with no password?

If this is any help, when the system first gets to the green boot screen, it has the wrong screen aspect ratio. After a second, it resets to the correct aspect ratio. When the system boots correctly, it stays on this screen until it boots to the desktop. When it does not boot correctly, it resets to the wrong aspect ratio again and then asks for the password. If I press the power button on the system at this point and select Restart, the system restarts ends up in the same place (asks for password). If I select Power Off and start the system up again, it boots correctly ... about half the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tower

Re: Boot Password Problem

Post by tower »

It sounds like recovery mode but normally you have to select that, the OSmust have found an error and it sounds like graphics.

Do you also have windows on the system ?
kenbb99

Re: Boot Password Problem

Post by kenbb99 »

Windows is not on this system. Something you mentioned (recovery mode) could be related. My system is crashing for various reasons (crash on recovery from standby, "Missing Resources" crash, others) and I have not solved these yet - I don't want to have several open items on the forum at once.

I have seen the option to boot in recovery mode, but that is not what's happening here. The system acts as if it's booting normally before it has the password problem. Once it boots, everything is fine. If I shut the system down, it boots fine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”