Cannot get wireless LAN adapter to work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tatiana30241

Cannot get wireless LAN adapter to work

Post by tatiana30241 »

Hello. I am very new to Linux (as in a few days), but I really am trying here, so I would appreciate any help you can offer me. I hope some of what I write here makes sense.

I just installed Linux Mint Helena, and I cannot get my EnGenius EUB-362EXT wireless LAN USB adapter to work. lsusb gives the following output for my device:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0cf3:0002 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5523 (no firmware)

I tried using the Wireless Windows Drivers tool in the Control Center to load the inf file for the driver (even though I got this inf file from a web search and not on the installation disk, since the driver file on that disk is an exe file), and it installed it. But it says that the device is not present, and iwconfig does not show it either.

I thought maybe this executable driver file would unzip to reveal another inf file, but it will not.

I then uninstalled the driver through the Windows Drivers tool and used ndiswrapper to install the inf file (which probably did exactly the same thing I had already done?). But the device is still not recognized, and I am unsure what to do next. Do I somehow need to tell ndiswrapper to use this inf file on my particular device? If so, can anyone please let me know how to do this?

I would very much appreciate any direction you can give me. My Linux learning curve will go up substantially if I can actually connect to the internet with it.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tower

Re: Cannot get wireless LAN adapter to work

Post by tower »

I found this, it seems to offer a solution.
http://www.supermind.org/blog/627/ubunt ... ext-solved
tatiana30241

Re: Cannot get wireless LAN adapter to work

Post by tatiana30241 »

Thank you. I saw that as well yesterday and thought it might work, but I can't figure out how to install wine on a computer without the internet.

Return to “Beginner Questions”