Dual Boot set up: Windows 7 & Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HeartSpark

Dual Boot set up: Windows 7 & Mint

Post by HeartSpark »

I’ve been wanting to get acquainted with Linux for a long time, but I couldn’t find a distro that really appealed to me. My Brother in Law recently introduced me to Mint and this appears to be the one!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a post that quite answered my question.

My question: I recently switched to Windows 7 from OS X and I have no idea how to dual boot the system with Windows. I have Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system without removing my current installation. Can anyone advise me or point me in a direction for instructions?

I’ve tried running Mint through a VM with Virtual Box, but I can’t get the screen resolution to fill my entire screen. From what I’ve been able to do in the VM though, I’m excited about making friends with Mint!

Thanks for your help!

-e
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Dual Boot set up: Windows 7 & Mint

Post by Aging Technogeek »

A good starting point for your Linux education would be the link in this post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 922#p61396

That's where I learned to dual boot. Don't be bothered by the date on the post, the article it links to has been kept up to date.

Actually, from what I've been told (never touched a Mac myself) with your background being mostly with Mac OS X, Linux should be quite easy to pick up since it is also a Unix based system. Welcome to Mint. Enjoy.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

In terms of Virtualbox, in order to resize and gain many more features -> when you are running the virtual machine, go to the top toolbar of virtualbox, Devices -> Install Guest Additions. This will mount a folder on the desktop. Double-click the folder, right-click on an empty spot inside the folder -> Open Terminal.
Type

Code: Select all

sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
magump

Post by magump »

I dual boot with Windows 7 with no problem at all. I recently purchased a new computer with Win7 installed. When installing Mint, you have the option of installing Mint along side of Win7. Just make sure you back everything important up and leave enough room for your Win7 partition if you intend on using it much. I don't use Win7 much as Mint 8 is my main platform. Alternately you can to go Manual Partitioning and select the space needed for Mint 8 along with the swap partition. Also check in the help documentation on line about partitioning which may be of more help than I can be at the moment. Hope this helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”