How do I install clamav [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NimaSepassi

How do I install clamav [SOLVED]

Post by NimaSepassi »

So I've gone to this page:

http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/download/ ... ges-linux/

and tried to follow the instructions for Ubuntu. However i don't know how to enable the backport repositories in my system.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: How do I install clamav

Post by RedWagon »

You don't need to do that, it's already included in Mint's default repos. Just run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install clamav
to install it.
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

also if you want the GUI to be available, you need to install the package "clamtk" as well.
vincent

Post by vincent »

The Clamav version in the default repos is somewhat outdated; I'd recommend using a PPA from Launchpad to get the latest version, ClamAV 0.96 (I believe).

In your terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-clamav/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clamav clamtk
(I added Clamtk in there because you may find a GUI version of ClamAV helpful. If you want to run clamav solely from command-line commands, then omit "clamtk".)
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

Cool thanks. I'm hoping this is the best anti-virus out there.
kingegbert

Post by kingegbert »

To be frank AVG for linux seems to be the most popular. Don't know if it is better or not but it is out there.
kamperone

Post by kamperone »

Thanks - it worked just fine :)
NimaSepassi

Re: How do I install clamav [SOLVED]

Post by NimaSepassi »

The help is well appreciated.

When run, it says there's a new GUI version. How would that get updated? The app itself is already the latest.

Thanks,
-Nima (xy)
vincent

Post by vincent »

http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/

Download and install the .deb package, and it should work. At least, it works for me. :P
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

Thanks, GUI updated.
uwex

Post by uwex »

Very helpful instructions, thanks a lot !
Clamav is installed and updated, clamtk installed with no probems, I took them from Launchpad repositories.
Just like Nima said, clamtk is out of date and so I took it from from sourgeforce.net, extracted it with archivmanager to a folder in my home-directory.

But how can I install it from this folder? with "sudo apt-get install clamtk" always the repositories in the sources.list are used :(

Thanks for help
vincent

Post by vincent »

When you install clamtk from Sourceforge, you'll get a .deb package (or a tarball containing a .deb package, I suppose). All you have to do is to double click on the .deb package and the Gdebi program will pop up, and then you can press the shiny "Install package" button, put in your password, and Gdebi will do the rest of the work for you.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks67 »

Hi,
Being a newbie myself I too have downloaded Clamav but cannot workout how to install it even after reading the above comments.
can someone kindly give a blow by blow instruction. So far I have opened terminal typed in the suggested code only to be asked for my sudo P/W ? what is needed is "first do this, then do that" without assuming that we are all Linux competent yet.
regards
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

longshanks67 wrote:Hi,
Being a newbie myself I too have downloaded Clamav but cannot workout how to install it even after reading the above comments.
can someone kindly give a blow by blow instruction. So far I have opened terminal typed in the suggested code only to be asked for my sudo P/W ? what is needed is "first do this, then do that" without assuming that we are all Linux competent yet.
regards
Unless you're running a server, you don't need antivirus of any kind. Not in your Linux desktop. In fact, AV even makes your system less secure: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks67 »

I appreciate your reply but I still want to know how to install.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Longshanks67, you would install clamav the same way you would install anything else on Mint: using Synaptic or Software Manager.

viewtopic.php?t=97158
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Beginner Questions”