Cant even get the Disc to boot right

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlancoMexicanos

Cant even get the Disc to boot right

Post by BlancoMexicanos »

Im not sure if it matters but I put the iso onto a dvd instead of a cd since my iso writer messed up a cd writting the iso. but when I boot my computer from the disc it seems to start up fine but before i really get to any screen I get a screen where it starts white but then fades to black then nothing happens. after a few button presses I get a screen that tells me to take the disc out close the disc tray and press enter.. after I do press enter my comp shuts off.. what the heck happened??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Phaedrus

Re: Cant even get the Disc to boot right

Post by Phaedrus »

Sounds like a duff burn. Try burning the .iso again at the slowest speed possible.

BTW It doesn`t matter if you use a CD or DVD.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Make sure you check the md5sum of the .iso file before you burn it to disc, to ensure that it isn't corrupt.
BlancoMexicanos

vincent wrote:Make sure you check the md5sum of the .iso file before you burn it to disc, to ensure that it isn't corrupt.
Well the thing is since it didnt work right on my computer... i took it to my cousins who runs xp and it booted fine. so i dont think its the disc
vincent

Post by vincent »

Sounds like a problem with your current hardware...I'd say that's pretty rare though.

When you boot the Live CD, can you manage to get to the point where it says "Automatic boot in 10 seconds"? If so, press any button and select the compatibility mode option in the menu that appears, and see if that works.
BlancoMexicanos

vincent wrote:Sounds like a problem with your current hardware...I'd say that's pretty rare though.

When you boot the Live CD, can you manage to get to the point where it says "Automatic boot in 10 seconds"? If so, press any button and select the compatibility mode option in the menu that appears, and see if that works.

Ill have to give that a try. i see that screen I just let it do it's stuff then I hear a chime then nothing so this might be my problem
BlancoMexicanos

vincent wrote:Sounds like a problem with your current hardware...I'd say that's pretty rare though.

hey dumb question when I do that compatability mode i get to a screen with a penguin or a moose? in the command line and my screen is flashing like crazy. is it suppose to do that? i wait and it doesnt seem to do anything but flash.. i can type tho in between the flashes if i strike a key it enters it

Return to “Beginner Questions”