Cannot 'find' wireless router

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
p0is0n

Cannot 'find' wireless router

Post by p0is0n »

Hi all,
New to linux, just finishing setting up Linux Mint 8 Helena Main Edition.

My problem is that in the list that pops up when you click the network icon, my wireless network isn't there.
I can connect to the other networks in the list from around the street but my network isn't there.
I have tried connecting as if to a hidden network with no luck.
The internet works just fine through a wired connection.

The router is a Netgear DG834N
The SSID is broadcasted
The security type is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

My windows box finds and connects just fine. But Mint can't seem to find it.
I used the Windows Wireless Drivers app to install the driver for my wireless PCI card (Netgear WG311)

lspci

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV36.1 [GeForce FX 5700 Ultra] (rev a1)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
03:01.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
03:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev 80)
Any help with this would be much appreciated as my XBox desperately wants its ethernet cable back lol.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RadioActiveRice

Re: Cannot 'find' wireless router

Post by RadioActiveRice »

Did you installed the driver for the wifi device? Most of the drivers are installed by default, but most wifi driver are proprietary, so they are not installed by default.

check out this post for more detail.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=3980
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Hi p0is0n

Since you have an unsupported wireless NIC and there are no Linux drivers for it,
you will have to install the Windows drivers using ndiswrapper.

Read this tutorial and follow the instructions that apply.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi

Go slowly so you don't make mistakes. :wink:
p0is0n

Post by p0is0n »

I think i've figured it out.
Something in one of the links mentioned supported encryption.
I turned the security options in my router off and the network manager found my network and connected with no problems.
I think the encryption :
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
Isn't supported.

That is the only type of security that the router offers, so I've set up another router (BT Home Hub) and the wireless on that is working fine on both my windows and linux machines.
Like I said the wireless could connect to other wireless networks, just not mine. So there was only a small change I messed up the wireless card installation.

The BT Home Hub works on WPA1 & WPA2 which is an option in the network manager.
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] seems to be a slight variation on the encryption, that isn't recognised, either that or magic happened and now it all works lol.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”