cosmos backround wallpaper

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JustPlainFred

cosmos backround wallpaper

Post by JustPlainFred »

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me how to find the file /folder for the mint Helena 8 (gnome desktop) for the "cosmic " (planets space shots etc.) slide show, or where it resides ? Also can you change the timing of the "Desktop wallpaper slide show" IE. make it cycle faster . Regards Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: cosmos backround wallpaper

Post by Aging Technogeek »

JustPlainFred,

The folder is in /usr/share/backgrounds.

The timing can be found in the "background-1.xml" file in the folder.
JustPlainFred

Post by JustPlainFred »

Aging Technogeek wrote:JustPlainFred,

The folder is in /usr/share/backgrounds.

The timing can be found in the "background-1.xml" file in the folder.
Aging Technogeek,
Hello, and thank you for responding. I tried to find this folder/file but had no luck with the search that i did . Question for future reference how do you do a search (seeing how what i did yielded Nada) Regards Fred
vincent

Post by vincent »

In a terminal, just type:

Code: Select all

nautilus /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos
And you'll be able to see the cosmos collection of wallpapers in that folder. If you want to move, copy, or alter those files, keep in mind that /usr is only accessible to root, so append "gksudo" to the previous command to do so.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

how do you add your own images to it?
If I saved some pics I found from the net , I'd like to be able to add them to the slideshow
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
vincent

Post by vincent »

In a terminal:

gksudo nautilus /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos
That'll open up a root nautilus window where you can drag and drop any images you want to add there; you need root privileges to write to /usr, which is why you either need to open up a root nautilus window or copy the files via the terminal to the specific directory you want them to be, also with root privileges. Be sure to make the proper changes to the xml file as well to control how the slideshow works.

gksudo gedit /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos/background-1.xml
MintHat

Post by MintHat »

Have a look at this thread. (The last post)

It explains how to make a slideshow like the cosmos one.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=43861
JustPlainFred

Post by JustPlainFred »

vincent wrote:In a terminal, just type:

nautilus /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos
And you'll be able to see the cosmos collection of wallpapers in that folder. If you want to move, copy, or alter those files, keep in mind that /usr is only accessible to root, so append "gksudo" to the previous command to do so.
Vincent,
Thanks for your input, Let me restate my question....What "search tool" do you use, when you want to find something that your not sure of the complete name ex. i wanted to find the wallpaper for mint (didn't know it was a background named "cosmos" ) so i want to search "wallpaper "...or something related, is there a search function? :?: Regards Fred
vincent

Post by vincent »

Well, if you click on mintMenu, and then type something in the Filter box near the bottom and press enter, you'll get a list of everything that has the entry you typed in its name, so then you can search for "background" or "cosmo" and get a list of where files containing the keywords you entered reside on your system. What I normally do if I can't find a file is that I first read any manual pages or documentation to see if I can find the info I need, and if not, I'd start asking people on the forums. :P

Return to “Beginner Questions”