Newbie question on Grub 2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
epitonic

Newbie question on Grub 2

Post by epitonic »

Hi,

Trying to follow this simple 'how to' to change the background image of Grub menu screen
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... screen_.3F

Q : How to add image at the background of grub screen ?
A :

1. Download an image you want from net. It should be in .png or .tga format. Lets say the file is nature.png
2. copy the file in /boot/grub or /usr/share/images/desktop-base directory.
3. open the file 06_mint_theme with command : sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/06_mint_theme
4. Locate the line starting with 'for i in'.
5. In that line at the end you will find word 'linuxmint'. Replace this with the filename of your desired file (nature). Don't add extension.
6. Save and close the file and give command : sudo update-grub

Just can't figure how to copy my image at step 2 in /boot/grub.... I'm not the owner/don't have the permission to do it?

Thank you.

epitonic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Newbie question on Grub 2

Post by viking777 »

/boot can only be written to as root so from a terminal it would be something like:

Code: Select all

sudo cp path to your image file.png  /boot/grub
Please don't copy and paste that command - you have to substitute the correct path to your downloaded image file, and I can't guess that.
epitonic

Re: Newbie question on Grub 2 (SOLVED)

Post by epitonic »

Great, thank you Viking 777 :D

Cheers.

epitonic

Return to “Beginner Questions”