Problems with Cassandra 3.0

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Problems with Cassandra 3.0

Post by T J Tulley »

Last week I used Bianca for a few days, then away. Now I have downloaded Cassandra 3.0, burned a CD, and ran it live last night, now I have installed it and the installation appears to be complete but it hasn't instructed me to remove the CD. It's still in. By mistake it's installed instead of Bianca but that won't really matter.

I can access all my ex-Windows data but can't get myself recognised as owner or user in Control Centre, so can't set permissions. Windows won't boot, which is why I'm learning Linux at a fast rate!

BTW, I created a shortcut to My Documents on Desktop - in Bianca that worked, but here there is no response.

Please help!

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Problems with Cassandra

Post by T J Tulley »

Since my previous message I have discovered that Bianca was still there and Cassandra not installed!

Now I have successfully installed Cassandra 3.0 and imported my Outlook Express address book into Thunderbird as a csv file, and it is receiving and sending. I set up 2 lists of addresses, but the message was only sent to the first identity in each list. Why?

Difficulties - partitioner said I could create new partitions but as soon as one was created, the rest of the space there became unusable. I ended with a 40 GB old partition devoted to / and nearly 70 GB free space for swap! There are 2 media partitions between them. In fact most of my data will continue to be stored in my old working Windows partitions. I know my way round them!

My previous attempt had evidently failed although it looked as though it was proceeding.

I need advice on importing Outlook Express 6.0 mail archives from its mail store - it would be nice it the structure of directories could be maintained, but that has failed even in copying the store into the corresponding location in my laptop where OE 6 is running.

I shall be grateful for any help. and advice.
Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

You can't have more than 4 primary partitions. I see you posted elsewhere with similar info/questions; I'll add this post answer to that loooong post. This link may help with the partition layout questions:
http://linuxgazette.net/136/lazar.html
The other post mentioned Grub problems. Repairing Grub is addressed in the wiki:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
As for backing up Linux. See scorp123's great how-to post here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7217#27217
Hope this helps. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”