Keep getting login loop with LM 8 XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Robin

Re: Keep getting login loop with LM 8 XFCE

Post by Robin »

jacatone wrote:I don't know, I've installed the new LM 8 XFCE on two different machines and I keep getting a login loop. Has anyone else had this problem. Don't seem to get it in LM 8 Main.
A "login loop?" I'm guessing that you can't log in and it just goes right back to the login screen as though you entered the wrong password or something, right?

Mine is set up to log in automatically on boot-up, so I actually never even see the login screen. If your computer is not shared (and it's not a laptop that might get stolen or something), setting it up to log you in automatically (an option you can choose once during installation, or change later if you wish) might work. You might, while the login screen is displayed, explore the options on the bottom of the screen (Session, etc) and try a few out. Choose Xfce as the session rather than the default script and it might let you in.

My Linux Mint Xfce experience has been so effortless and trouble-free so far that I think I have little to offer, not having had to solve any problems.

Hoping I've helped,
Robin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Keep getting login loop with LM 8 XFCE

Post by oliverjames »

Hello, Yes I have the same problem. I've tried installing Helena XFCE twice now and whether I choose automatic boot or not the splash screen flickers once or twice then opens the user name / password entry screen. Entering the password simply causes the system to loop back to the same point.

I had the same problem with Xubuntu 9.10 on which this system is based so it's possible that my hardware is just too old for these new OSs.

Anyone suggest a solution? I don't think its a Grub2 issue as I've had that working without a problem on this machine.

Regards, Oliverjames.

Return to “Beginner Questions”