Trash Icon Problem - Solved thank you

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miguels

Trash Icon Problem - Solved thank you

Post by miguels »

Using Ubuntu 8.10 how can I put an icon for "Trash" on the desktop area?
Thanks, Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Trash Icon Problem

Post by proxima_centauri »

Press Alt+F2 and run, gconf-editor.
Navigate from Apps -> Nautilus -> Desktop. Check the box for "Visible Trash Icon".
miguels

Post by miguels »

I do not appear to have a Nautilus link in applications. I have found numerous Nautilus bits to download but don`t
know which bits to load.
The Alt and F2 seems to start ok but I don`t know where to go after inputting the command you sent me.

As a real Newbie, can you explain in more detail, thank you,
Mike
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Alternatively you could try:
Menu>Control Centre>Desktop Configuration Tool (under Look and Feel section).

Edit...just re read and realized you are not using Mint. Sorry :(
Last edited by Phaedrus on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Once you press Alt+F2, a run dialog should appear. In the textbox type "gconf-editor", without quotes, and hit enter. This will open up the Configuration Editor, from there follow this path from the left-hand tree, Apps -> Nautilus -> Desktop.
Check the box for "Visible Trash Icon".

Return to “Beginner Questions”