Screen Saver does not work with fresh install on Dell D600

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Screen Saver does not work with fresh install on Dell D600

Postby mschilling on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:56 am

The screen will go blank so the display dimming works ok, but those great vintage style screen savers refuse to come up. I have it set to random and have tried different combos of times etc., and always just get a blank screen. I know it works, but how to give it a kick?
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby newW2 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:16 pm

What is your power management setting? Make sure it put computer to sleep when inactive is set to NEVER.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mschilling on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Yes, the sleep when inactive was set at never in both battery and ac modes. Still not working yet.

I read the help file along with power management and noticed that I am missing the power consumption settings. My Dell has an M processor so it should be adjustable. Also I noticed the Statistics app that shows battery power on a graph. I don't see that in my power mgmt pref pane. Is there another place to find it?
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mschilling on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:20 pm

I tried changing the setting: sleep when inactive, from never to 1 hour just as an experiment. The screen saver started working! Also, interestingly enough, when I let the system sit for an hour, it went to sleep as it should. But then, when I hit the button to wake it up, I was not asked for the password! Previously, I had tried to make that happen with the manual sleep routine, avoiding entering the password every time I woke it up. Has anybody noticed this behavior on their laptop?
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions