choppy online video play back

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrchippy

choppy online video play back

Post by mrchippy »

when i try to watch a video online it is soooo choppy it is unwatchable and on windows play back is fine. is there a way i can get rid of choppy video play back
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: choppy online video play back

Post by proxima_centauri »

Try installing the official Adobe flashplugin. Open up a terminal and issue this command:

Code: Select all

apt remove flashplugin-nonfree && apt install adobe-flashplugin
mrchippy

Post by mrchippy »

that helped but it still is a little choppy
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Try disabling Desktop Effects in the Effects tab of Appearance Preferences, if that makes the difference - some compiz settings may need to be changed.
Mr.Slinky

Post by Mr.Slinky »

Which Browser are you using?

If Firefox you can change the settings: pipelining, max connections etc. google for tips and tweaks
You can also get add-ons for this purpose: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ox&cat=all

I would also get the adobe plug-in as recommended below and try to get everything available in terms of libraries and codecs you can. Try closing other tabs or getting the memorysaver add-in and pausing them. Get the add-in to remove all the flash cookies as well and empty the cache before playing the stream.

If all that fails try starting the video and then pausing it for a while (to cache it) before playing. I've been using downloadhelper to download them and then playing them from my computer as well.

I'm a bit of a newbie myself and I have had a great deal of success by doing the above.

Return to “Beginner Questions”