How to manage Vista using Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr. Alex

How to manage Vista using Mint?

Post by Mr. Alex »

Hi guys!
What is the best way to manage Windows Vista (and XP) using LAN and Mint? Not SSH 'cause I need to see what is happening on Vista screen. Is it possible to use VNC for these purposes? Or there is a better way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ryandburnett

Re: How to manage Vista using Mint?

Post by ryandburnett »

Hello,

Answer is below! :D

Thanks,

--- Ryan
Last edited by ryandburnett on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

Well, thanks, Ryan! I'll monitor this thread.
To moderators: please move it to "Network" forums.

And by the way: I don't need a secret way to do that. Because the person who uses Vista requires my remote help.
ryandburnett

Post by ryandburnett »

Hello,

Try this, it does not work on Vista Home Edition or 7 Home Edition...

On The Windows Machine

To get the configuration page, in the start menu right click on My Computer and select Properties, as shown below.

Now click the Remote Settings link on the left-hand side, as shown below.

Finally turn it on my checking the box, as shown below.

On The Linux Mint Machine

Open Terminal and type do following code, replace <%MachineAddress%>, with the IP of the machine that you wish to make a remote connection with.

Code: Select all

rdesktop <%MachineAddress%>
To launch in fullscreen do the following...

Code: Select all

rdesktop -f <%MachineAddress%>
Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to exit full screen mode!

Let me know if this works or not

Thanks,

--- Ryan
Last edited by ryandburnett on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

Works great! Thanks! :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”