Mint Update Problem...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Mint Update Problem...

Post by craig10x »

Hi: I'm having a problem with my Mint Update....I wonder if anyone can recommend an easy solution for it...

What happened was that i attempted to get a newer version of Pidgin Instant Messenger, and did this by copying and pasting the two commands that are given in the "linux downloads" section of their website into the terminal....i used the ones they give for Ubuntu....

What it is supposed to do is add the new version into the repository so that they should appear in your Updates listing and you can then apply it.....
This worked fine when i used Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit version....Now i am using Linux Mint 8 64 bit version...

I don't normally like to use the terminal, and in a way i am sorry i did....Now when i refresh Mint Update...it gets stuck on those 3 packages i tried to add...apparently it can't load them in....It's still able to bring in other updates for me, but i have to cancel the "Refresh" and then i just see the ones it was able to get, which of course i can then apply...

But it is a bit annoying that the 3 stuck packages that won't work are hanging up the refresher function...A window comes up and says "Could Not Download All Repository Indexes"

I do plan on switching to Mint 9 when it comes out...so i suppose i could "live with it" until i install the new version..since i can still get the regular updates...

But i was just wondering if there is any easy FIX for this that won't cause even more problems for me..if not, i will leave well enough alone :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint Update Problem...

Post by remoulder »

Post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Where would i get that from?...sorry i am not that technically oriented with linux...which is why i rarely use the terminal....
It's like they are just stuck there...the update will keep scanning them...even though it apparently can't grab them in....and it doesn't look like Mint Update has any method of clearing them out...
Fred

Post by Fred »

craig10x

In the url window of your browser, where it now says "http://forums.linuxmint.com" erase what is there and put "/etc/apt/sources.list" without the quotes. Press "enter" and paste what comes up to the forum. :-)

Fred
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ helena main upstream import
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ karmic partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

Thanks Fred :) I did that and pasted it in above...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com \ 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu \ `lsb_release --short --codename` main | \
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.list

By the way...what you see above is what i copied and pasted into the terminal (this was from the Pidgin Instant Messenger website) it was the way to get the newest Pidgin sent into the Update Repository for Ubuntu...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I think i may have figured this out myself... :)
It was showing 4 packages that were "stuck" in Mint Update....3 of them are Medibuntu packages....now, i happened to notice another thread in Mint Forums mentioning that
the Medibuntu repository has been down for a few days now....and a friend of mine who also uses Linux Mint called me and mentioned that the same 3 packages are hanging up when refreshing his Mint Update and the Package Manager as well...and same as me...

Now, i would assume that once the Medibuntu Repo is back up, the those 3 packages should no longer be "stuck"....
The 4th package that was stuck in mine (but not my friends) Mint Update/Synaptic Package Manager relates to the PIDGIN REPOSITORY....Checking the Package Manager, i looked under "Software Sources" and SURE ENOUGH...PIDGIN REPO HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE LIST...(as a result of the terminal paste in command i had put in)...

I simply deleted it from the list, and once removed, i refreshed my Mint Install and no longer see the Pidgin package in there....
Apparently, although the pIdgin repo will work with Ubuntu...it does not work in Mint (probably because the info is different..mentioning Helena and all)....
So, since removing, that will no longer cause a problem...

I'm assuming the stuck Medibuntu packages problem will be gone once the Medibuntu repos are working again?

Anyone else notice that problem with 3 stuck Medibuntu packages when they refresh Mint Update???

Since my friend is getting it also on his Mint...i assume it's a system wide problem....
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

craig10x wrote:it does not work in Mint (probably because the info is different..mentioning Helena and all)
Craig, glad you sorted this out. The reason I asked for your source.list was to check if the pidgin repo was using helena rather than karmic as sometimes happens when you add external repos. To fix this you just have to open your Software Sources and edit the line for the repo changing helena to karmic. The Medibuntu repos being down is a separate issue - repos do occasionally go offline temporarily for various reasons.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks remoulder! As a newbie and not that technically oriented guy who has only been using linux for about 9 months or so....Ubuntu originally, and now on Linux Mint which to me is like a more user friendly, more complete (love having all the codecs pre installed and mint menu and added mint tools) polished up version of it...i was amazed that i was able to figure it out for myself :wink:
Took a bit of investigating to "put the puzzle together" so to speak...

Thanks for the tip about the Pidgin issue...yep..it did say Helena and not Karmic...which would explain why it had a problem bringing it in...
I did delete it...but if i decide to try it again, i will know to go to the software sources in Package Manager and edit it and change the name as you suggested...

Thanks for telling me about repos occassionally going down (such as medibuntu)...since my friend is getting those 3 stuck packages on his Mint right now (and he didn't do anything at all) i am assuming it will eventually clear up by itself.... As you said, they apparently have no relationship to the "Pidgin Problems" created by my Terminal entry...

Appreciate both you guys assistance on this... :)

Otherwise...a very HAPPY LINUX MINT CONVERT :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”